visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

"Foss' Shipyard" scratch build in O scale.

Comments

• Thanks, the lattice work was 3 or 4 hrs alone....a lot of construction
    time but worth it....

• I would like to echo - - wonderful work.
    Very inspirational.
  • a few more pics...

imageimage
  • Love the idea of a board being split on the table saw but I would think there should be a figure posed feeding it through rather than standing off to the side waiting for the cut to finish. The saws I work around would have a field day throwing stuff all over the room without some taming...
  • The arttista figures were placed there just for the picture. The final
    setup will have a figure feeding and one guiding it thru. Also off to
    the side will be 2 figures picking up boards. It will all come together
    in the final rendition.....
  • edited July 2011
    i love the support framing for the cut off saw.... very nice as usual
  • I can't take credit for everything....the table saw is from Banta
    and the cut off saw is from BTS.
  • Just a note to say that I am enjoing following this build. I a newly converted On30 modeler (after many years in HO) and have just been shipped my first SW O scale kit. I sure hope I can do as great a a job on it as you have done here.Cheers.
  • edited July 2011
    Trying to adjust some details as I go..... I love using the Arttista figures since
    they add action or a story being told to the viewer. I did use some artistic
    liscense since the ships plans would never be rolled up with the image
    being viewed but it adds to the interest of the scene....

imageimage
  • edited July 2011
    The scene with the plans looks great Richard, the figures look appropriate and the printing facing out does indeed add some extra interest to the scene.

Unfortunately I'm not so sure on the crane..... I also built one to include on my 'O' Shelby's wharf but felt that it did not make sense, it didn't look right and it overpowered the wharf. I fear that yours may do the same here, but time will tell.

Aside from that it is really coming alive nicely now.

Looking forward to the next update.

Karl.A
  • Karl.....you might be right but the crane is not attached, just placed there for
    a visual check. Not sure how it will end up, will have to move it around later or
    maybe eliminate it altogether.I just wanted to place something on the right
    side of the pier for interest.....time to rethink the idea....thanks
  • Yep I did the same thing Richard, I even let it sit on the dio for a couple of months to 'live with it' to see if it grew on me. Ultimately I removed it.

I'm sure you will make the right decision for your dio either way.

Karl.A
  • edited August 2011
    Tar/pitch tank... test fit.

• edited August 2011
    Started roof's...will weather with powders to tone down the color after all roof's are
    complete....

• love that view.... favorite in the ho scale kit and looks just the same here - great job translating this to o scale
  • Thanks Brett...it's easy once you have a great kit to work from....can't wait for
    your Sawmill....
  • Could use some input...tried to do a gray roof but not too sure about the color.
    Might have to do a medium brown and tone it down.....Not too sure if I like
    the gray. Roofs are only temporary and was considering a redo in simulated
    cedar shakes......Rusty stumps #D5507. Any suggestions would be helpful.....thanksimageimage
  • You have a fantastic build here. The current version of your roofs are not up to the rest of your build (in the pictures - - which is probably different colour from live). I wonder if you could (with cream or white plus a colour) do a more "sun fade" look ?
  • the coloration of the roof is very bland... lacking any sort of detail - how about individual shingles? would look very nice... a roof that size in o scale just begs to be detailed properly like no commercial laser cut product would even come close to replicating.
  • Still trying to get the look of the shingles. Weathered the gray paper shingles and not too bad but the responses were right...not enough detail. Next step is to try Brett's formula of Earth, Reefer Gray and Concrete on wood shingles. Will try the paint on Builders in Scale's Truewood Rustic Shingles in Oak. Still experimenting....
  • I also agree with the previous posters, the grey roof was too bland and certainly lacked texture.
    I'll be interested to see a test section of the BiS oak shingles, but, individual shingles may be the way to go to maintain the quality of the rest of the build..... and would certainly be my first choice... time, and more great updates will tell which..

Karl.A
  • Never did scratch build on shingles. I assume it's just cutting veneer to the proper size..Any insights ?
  • If you decide to do individual shingles, your next update should be posted in about a months time:). All jokes aside, it will be worth the time and effort and make this already magnificent build even better.
  • I have done individual shingles in HO and it is worth the labour. The result is visable even in HO. I cut the product (have sone in wood and strathmore) in scale height strips. Then using a duplicutter cut the widths.
  • I apologize for the spelling errors.
  • I assume it's just cutting veneer to the proper size..Any insights ?
    I'll post something for you tomorrow, too late to grab the materials, the camera and to start posting now.
    Seriously, it doesnt take as long as you may imagine, and the results are unrivaled.

Karl.A

• Karl....thanks much looking forward to your info...
  • Tried to locate the shipyard sign on the lumber building but didn't look right. Thought I'd place it on the main building and it seems to work better.

imageimage
  • Love "the roofers at work" mini-scene.
  • edited August 2011
    Started a preliminary setup of the diorama to see how the layout comes together. Still much more details to do along with the roof when my material order comes in....this is the fun part when I get to move things around to find the best way to display the theme.

imageimageimageimageimage