visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

What'cha been doin?

I haven't posted a build in a while because I've been working on the Stoney Creek oil derrick. It's almost at a point where it needs to go onto its base. I ordered a vertical boiler from Brett today (also ordered a Blue Sky...dang you Kevin) to be used as a broken down power supply. A mobile power supply has taken its place in the form of a Case steam tractor.

I originally planned to use the Mill Engine shed for power but the derrick is only about 50' tall and it just didn't look right. I really like the way it uses scale 2X lumber to build the legs vs using say a 12X12. Also really like the wood wheels. The handle on the bellows is a fun detail. Also looking into the close up you can see the scratch built temper screw.

9A803D6B-17B5-4957-97F9-6847400FD6A3
2957BD2F-F833-4EE6-839D-8A5C42A4F6E0
823884FE-DCC4-4CA1-9407-C2C819B1D05C
853D0AF5-1FB6-4CA5-9D7F-CC4F2B16C713
7453FD96-15B4-4315-B998-B3D5F45D0EBD
423BB1D2-8122-42EB-8E69-620AD3EC4400
43629EE4-E43E-4181-BAED-B56DACBD8A52
952B62A9-4FBB-4568-B154-BC2DBDBF6F24
820CC4B7-CA48-480F-9CD1-525EDEDECB69

Comments

• Wow, what beautiful models. Love the derrick as well and the wooden wheels. Really enjoy seeing what you've been up to and thanks for sharing!
  • Fantastic work Bryan!! Looks like you all are getting the O scale version of Blue Sky.
    Have the HO scale and not building any time soon but looking forward for your and Kevins build.
    Keep up your great work!!

Pap
  • i'm sorry bryan. really, i am.
  • edited November 2021
    Some outstanding modeling Bryan, the steam tractor is so well finished, love the dirt on the wheels, and also noticed it on the steps where muddy boots have been climbing up, great stuff.
    The wood coloring especially and texture on the derrick is really nice.

I had to elevate the drive shaft on my "#300 Mill Engine" kit build to accommodate my shingle mill and have the shafts line up, maybe you could do something similar (in reverse) to lower your drive line, I think it would look great.

The Case is such a well finished alternative, very nicely done.
  • Always a joy to look over your builds, Bryan!!!
    Terry
  • Thanks guys. Karl, I'd like to reserve the boiler/engine kit for a shingle mill some day also.

Just messing with you Kevin. I'm toying around with some coloring ideas for Blue Sky...like maybe painting the "old barn" section faded/peeling red and giving the clapboard siding a peeling undercoat with another peeling overcoat. Maybe white/gray over blue/gray. Got plenty of time to ponder and experiment.
  • Some fine modeling young man!!

Jerry
  • Sounds like a bunch of Blue Sky(s) on the shelf waiting to be built….maybe a community build????
    Terry
  • I have that kit and also the Jack Pump on the shelf.....I have way too much on the shelf....but the work station has the Foundry on it right now......following that will be the sawmill.....then some Kitwood Hills stuff.....
  • brownbr said:

Thanks guys. Karl, I'd like to reserve the boiler/engine kit for a shingle mill some day also.

Just messing with you Kevin. i know, i was just messing back.....I'm toying around with some coloring ideas for Blue Sky...like maybe painting the "old barn" section faded/peeling red and giving the clapboard siding a peeling undercoat with another peeling overcoat. Maybe white/gray over blue/gray. Got plenty of time to ponder and experiment.

• I also have that kit, but I am not ready to build it yet. So all you guys that are going to start one, I will be following looking for ideas.
  • edited November 2021
    Super well done, I can almost see those wheels spinning....

And I can confirm, that Blue Sky Company kit is amazing....
  • Nice build Bryan,
  • Nice work on the Derrick and Tractor..... who's kit Is the steam tractor ?
  • edited November 2021
    Bryan, again fantastic work.
    You all may want to check out Ken's BlueSky HO build. Fantastic work Ken!
    I will be following your thread!!
    Keep up your great work!! :smile:

Pap
  • Thanks guys.

Muddy, I have the jack pump also and will try to incorporate that into a diorama at some point. Looks like it will be another fun build. I have the Foundry going also but I'm thinking that I will wait until I have a few more of the installments in before I pick it back up...at least that's the plan.

Pap, I saw some great techniques in Ken's and Robert's Blue Sky build that I want to incorporate. I built it once about 10 years ago and it is planted on my layout. I've learned so much since then from the great modelers on this forum.

Craig, I got the tractor from Wiseman. It's a tough build. I built one many years ago but it was not good enough in my mind so I built it again. It's a rewarding build for sure once you are done. Still lots I can improve if I were to do it again but I don't see that happening. I blackened the parts for the steam engine on the derrick today and they are the exact same parts from the Case.
  • Yes indeed, Roberts and ken's thread for the Bluesky build is noted...thanks Bryan!!
  • Hey Bryan, I should have mentioned that your oil derrick and tractor are incredible.
  • Pappy said:

Bryan, again fantastic work.
    You all may want to check out Ken's BlueSky HO build. Fantastic work Ken!
    I will be following your thread!!
    Keep up your great work!! :smile:

Pap

i bookmarked ken's blue sky build for the future....
  • Brtan.
    Top shelf my friend just outstanding.
  • Bryan, After seeing your tractor I thought I had one In my Stash and I did but mine was buy Walker Model Service that I bought in 2010??? plus a really Rare kit the Holt 75 steam crawlers buy McKenzie Iron & Steel co .....I have 3
  • Thanks Carl.

Craig, the McKenzie kits were great. Wiseman produces them now. I never got the Holt but have considered it. Back when Bill Roy died the guy who used to run Anvil Hill Models bought his collection and listed the items on ebay. I was able to get several of his CHB donkeys. Those are also great kits.
  • This bad boy is done with 1 piece missing. I will be placing a derelict boiler under tarpaper open shed. Overall a fun kit to build. Did not get an acrylic cover for this one but may add that later.

Cleaned off the workbench so I can build a wall clock for wife's Christmas gift then on to the next build. It will be a SW kit combination. It will have a running joke as the diorama name.

IMG_0174
    IMG_0171
    IMG_0170
    IMG_0167
    IMG_0166
    IMG_0165
    IMG_0164
    IMG_0163
    IMG_0162
    IMG_0160
    IMG_0159
    IMG_0158
  • Wow, great colors on the..... well on everything!! Nice touch with the SW skull.. :smiley:
  • Great job! Really like the tank.
  • Very nicely done Bryan. Beautiful colours and construction on everything. Lots of really nice small details to be found and enjoyed.
  • Bryan.
    That is the best of the best so be proud. ......C/L.....
  • Awesome modeling, Bryan

Terry
  • Bryan, fantastic work!!
  • Just beautiful Bryan. Great build.