visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Makin' pine trees

2»

Comments

• Thanks so much for this Bryan. I really have to try this it does make the most fantastic foreground trees.
  • Post your efforts here Joel. I'd love to see your take on this. I hope these turn out the way I have them envisioned. I'm sure they will get better with practice like anything else.
  • I added finer branch tips to 1 of the trees and added bark to both. The fine branch tips are natural furnace filter cut into very small pieces and glued onto the end of each branch tip. Basically to fill out the area where leaves will go. I am going to try a different technique with the other tree to see which works best...its a trial after all.

For the bark I used dried leaves that were ground up in a coffee grinder. I first marked off an area that I want to have the bark missing. Then brush white glue all over the trunk in sections so the areas don't dry out. While the glue is wet, sprinkle the leaf mess on.CA434A59-6BB1-4733-9E8F-95C54259D6E5
    DFF78FD8-0C04-46F7-A31C-7981041C36B1
    2AA24839-A32C-49AA-91BE-63D9C5D3E140
    7735CABE-01F8-4FCD-9458-BB25FFB78879
    71DE191D-B122-4DD6-AE89-334CECF60841
    A7229DAA-4656-4472-83F7-7A9F301E0316
  • Love all the character Bryan. Looking forward to seeing this planted on your diorama.
  • Thanks Brett. Hope they both make it to a diorama. If I like them I'll put them on the layout. If I love them they will go on a diorama.
  • The trunks are nearly complete. I may add a bit more moss coloring and texture but they are looking OK for now. Painted with dark brown camo from a spray can then drybrushed in progressive layers of (SW) roof brown, golden brown, (AK) neutral gray and sky gray. Then given a wash of Secret Weapon sewer water.

I'm going to attempt a fall transition color on the deciduous tree with individual leaves. Let's hope for the best. Included here are a pair of color schemes that appeal to me.

The painted paper is my palette. I punched out 3 sizes of individual leaves with a Green Stuff World leaf punch. Next up, attaching the leaves. I will use the smallest tree to try using some kind of a foliage mesh to add the leaves just to see which works best.AF5292AF-AF71-4954-8CA0-A92A90EB37E3
    19B614E0-B7B6-4539-9938-7CEDA3C47B87
    7AEA7888-AA8C-416B-B718-E92F598AA1C8
    EA179A24-A7C6-42B3-8FC5-690A91D7C55D
    DDF84A58-73CA-4D9B-8DCB-D71FB00DEE0E
    4EFA5BDA-8761-4922-BD6A-9931031CF1E2
    3B198037-97D3-4340-8C5C-45937E39D43A
    E8340E3E-5801-4FF6-9420-6CEE52C06D3C
  • Those leaves are great, the fall colors are spot on.
  • Thanks Ken and Karl.

I've been adding leaves to branches and have a couple of observations and lessons learned to share.

Overall I am pleased with the bare tree. I encourage anyone to give this method a try.

The individual leaves make a noticeable difference to the look of foliage. This being said, this method will not work for a full canopy tree...the leaves will look too sparce. To model a spring/summer tree I would use some type of fluff material to develop the leaf canopy and use a combination of ground cover with the leaves on the top layer to add detail. If using this method, the branch tips that I have made here will be acceptable.

I want to model a fall tree in the process of dropping its leaves. To do this, I need to hide the twists in the wire better and make finer branch tips. I'll build a new tree to see if I can do this.

I used white glue to attach the leaves. A wet pallet keeps the glue workable for days. If you have not tried a wet pallet you may want to. It really helps when working with acrylics and now glue. One problem I encountered with using white glue is that the leaves don't have an immediate hold...I place them where I want them and then they settle in a little bit. Super glue might be the answer but I'm not sure what the finish will look like.

Oh, and if you do not like making a shake shingle roof one shingle at a time, you will not like adding leaves like this.

I'm going to put this tree to the side for a while so I can think through some ideas. I like the way the colors are transitioning with the leaves so I'll keep filling this tree in over time.

I'll move on to adding pine needles to the other tree. I think blending colors will be in order by starting with a straw color at the bottom and moving to green on top. We'll see how this works.

2CE35491-4253-4B75-8D59-832811A506C8
    7F90B932-B145-4C10-858B-7BDA4471A552
  • Bryan,

I have been enjoying your tutorial on trees. I need to get down into Tucson and get some more wire. A while back I did purchase a set of leaf punches. I haven't tried them yet but now have better ideas of how to make fall leaves. Your tutorial is giving me motivation to try new things.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Bryan,
    Thanks so much for the tutorial. I love the fall colours. My favourite time of year when the leaf just start to change. Might want to look at some photos. I find most trees in the north east change a bit at a time so 60% might still be green and the rest changed over. The occasional red maple just changes overnight to entirely red or bright orange but usually its a gradual thing. Once the leaves are mostly gone, and the tree is sparse it would just be browns and a few red or yellow leaves.
    Great stuff. I'm collecting wire as I type.
  • Dave, you will enjoy the punches. I find that I sprinkle around a few dried leaves on each diorama now. It makes a great detail.

Thanks Joel. Imitating Mother Nature is a challenge for sure. The best I've been able to do is find references that I like as you mention, then try to make it as close as possible. Not an easy task.