visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Backwoods Water Tank and Storage Shed - (1:87)

Before I post the final pictures of the award-winning Backwoods Water Tank and Storage Shed, I want to say a few words about Sierra West kits, Brett, and the other modeler (craftsmen) on this forum. The Water Tank was just my second craftsman kit. Because of that, I leaned heavily on the expertise of all the modelers on this forum as well as Brett. Brett and all of you were very patient with me and offered great suggestions. But at the same time, you urged me to build my own model, not copy what had been done. When I went to Boston for the Fine Scale Modeler's EXPO, I was very nervous because the EXPO included some of the best modelers in the country. How would I measure up?? When I went into the contest room, I quickly realized that my model would be competitive. Why? Because I had been tutored by the best and it became clear to me that any Sierra West kit that was properly constructed and utilized the methods explained by Brett and the others on this forum would be competitive with the other great models.

The best night of my brief modeling career came when they announced that my Water Tank had won the 8X8 category. Not only was it great to be recognized by my peers, but it was even better to share it with Bill, Ken and Dustin, who were at the EXPO. The picture below will be hanging in my layout room for a very long time. Thank you Brett and thank you fellow modelers.

Comments

• Phil, well said and well played all around. You've got the priorities of this thing down...great friends, great conversation, great times...and a little modeling thrown in for good measure!

Can't wait to see what you get into next...Ken
  • Thanks Ken. It will be a bit because I'm waiting for my house to be finished (around the end of June). My modeling stuff is split between storage and my father-in-law's house. In the mean time, I'll watch your great build. Phil
  • Phil-
    Again, congrats! That's a heck of an accomplishment with only your second effort. I'm sure lots of people (myself included) have had the same "hesitation" or question of "is my work good enough".
    Hopefully, others will follow your example and throw it out there and let the chips fall where they may. At the very least, you come away with ideas of what to change, things to try, or other ideas to help improve your modeling. And, quite possibly, you walk out with a big confidence booster like this!

Only a few more weeks on you'll be back at the bench. Don't let the calendar get the best of you!
  • Phil
    Please add my heartfelt congratulations as well. I enjoyed following your build and this final set of pictures is a real testament to your creativity and modeling skills. I couldn't agree more with Bill's comments above. I've been attending conventions the past few years and wondering if my work would ever be good enough to enter. I've drawn some real inspiration from your efforts and this forum in general. As Bill says, at the very least you come away with some great ideas on improving your modeling. I think I'm going to give it a try with my latest project. Good luck with the house construction and we all look forward to your next project.
    SteveF
  • Congrat's on your accomplishment. The colors and weathering are outstanding!. Not to mention the build. Thanks for sharing and inspiring others!
  • Thanks Bill, Steve and Chuck. I appreciate your comments. Phil
  • Here's another thread that deserves to be enjoyed again!