visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

The sawmill at Sebastopol, CA.

edited May 2016 in O Scale Builds
Greetings all,
I had the pleasure of visiting the Sturgeons steam powered sawmill at Sebastopol CA. I made some videos of the mill and have put them on the You-tube channel.

This is a working museum and they demonstrate 4 times a year for the public at no charge, just donations.

http://www.sturgeonsmill.com/

There are several videos already there for other sawmills and a couple for this one. I show what I believe it what we want to model most from the sawmill. I show the Willamette yarder under power. The Miller Machine. The 4 blade edger. The log loader area and the carriage, and finally the big saw, all 60" of it. It is not the greatest video ever made but one can see the down and dirty operation that most of us like to model.

This is a little different in operation than the kit we have from Brett as in the power belts are all under the floor. I also have many, many still pictures I want to publish on a slide show and that will come later.

Take a look and get some ideas for the modeling as I did.

The link to the video;

Thanks,
Wayne

Comments

• Great video Wayne....gives a good veiw of operations...and answers a few questions...need to get out there myself...Thanks!
  • Wayne-
    First off, thanks for sharing this!
    A great look at mill operations, but most importantly, it's shot with the modeler in mind. I really appreciate the up-close look at the machinery. (I never knew the huge saw blades were water cooled! Hmmmm.) Colors, grease, wear marks, sawdust collection spots...all on display in your close ups.
    I'm looking forward forward to your still pictures.
    Thanks again!
  • edited May 2016
    Here is a link, if interested to pages with the 180 pictures of the mill. It is a JAalbum posting and has slideshow or individual picture looking. It does not like Google chrome too well, I have it but have the IE (internet explorer) tab which helps. They are also available as really big pictures by clicking on the pictures bottom center. Lots of details are there.

http://minietonrailroad.org/sturgeons mill/sturgeons.html

Thanks
  • Great references. Thanks.

What do you suppose the wooden rollers are on page 24?
  • I wasn't sure, but was thinking they were part of the one machine I have pictured, image 22, that was not being used and setting idle and dust covered. They also have two grooves in them which may have had some bands of some sort.

I have found a new home for my copy of the SW sawmill on my layout. After the engine house that is the next order of business.
  • Wow, what a resource! Pictures 17 & 32 provide some great clutter details. I also like the interior shots of the office.
  • Thanks Wayne. This is a very informative video.
    Mark