visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My first SWkit build

edited February 2016 in O Scale Builds
This my first and I hope not last SW kit .I tried to follow the instructions but my old habits after 43 years of building took over , please be kind lol .

Comments

• After attaching the file, you need to hit the insert image button...not able to see your pictures...
  • Ok thanks , I will try and see if I can get it to work.

Richardimageimageimageimageimage
  • Hey Richard,

That's really nicely done! Weathering looks great...and I really like your scenery.

Thanks for sharing!
    Alan
  • Really looks good Richard, very nice variety of wood tones across the shed, and diorama. All 'woody' but all different and different ages. Nicely done.
    Tool Shed is many peoples first SWSM kit, including me, its a great kit to jump into.
    No stopping now... whats next ?

Karl.A
  • Thanks for the comments ,not sure if you noticed but the dockside wall was supposed to be on the otherside as shown in instructions, that was not on purpose . Oh well it worked out in the end for me as to location on my shelf layout. The color of the boards appear darker in the photos, the are not that dark . It was a great kit to build. I use to model in HO but sold every thing and jumped into ON30 and it sure is easier on the eyes . I like to scratch build so I may post some of my builds if that is alright for this group .

Richard
  • Welcome Richard and thank you for posting your tool shed. What a wonderful job. I love what you have built here adding your own character and personality. Hope to see more of your builds in the future!
  • That's a really good first build. I really like the colors you got on your siding, and the broken window with that little piece of glass dangling-waiting to fall out. I'm sure you will take very close looks at the photos and find things that you could do differently next time. We all do, that's how the second is better than the first, and so on.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Hit that one out of the park in my opinion. Wonderful tones and textures. It stands up damn well in the extreme close ups.

The hammer on the drum in the last picture really caught my eye. Love it.

Well done.
  • Yes I agree , we always need a second set of eyes sometimes to point the little things out such as the broken window . You get caught up in the moment when building and sometimes you don't see the obvious , like not seeing the forest for the trees.
  • You certainly can tell you have been modeling for a good while Richard. I'm with Wes...the color tones and textures are very unique and well set. Great Tool Shed build...Ken
  • Thanks for the compliments Ken, I started out in HO 43 years ago and I found I really like to scratch build and have been at it ever since . When Bachman introduced their line of ON30 products I said now was the time for a change , so all my HO was sold, layout and all and I jumped in to a bigger world so to speak . When I saw the SW kits among others I was in heaven , great products. Also the work done by some of the masters make a person try to get better .
  • edited February 2016
    Right you are Richard, 1:87 is certainly challenging to get anywhere near the detailed results of O Scale. I have settled, for now, on HOn3 as I like the narrow gauge appeal compared to standard HO. For someone coming from a long history of scratch building, you can't do better than the SierraWest kits for sure. Following along the builds of those guys has helped me immensely as well and provides a level of modeling we can all strive for. Again, welcome to the forum and you know, hanging around here you're in danger of getting hooked on Brett's kits!...Ken