visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Twin Mills featured in Oct '15 Model Rail magazine

edited September 2015 in General News & Ramblings
I'm pretty excited to be included as part of Model Rail's cover story: "Ultimate Realism". The author primarily wanted to focus on the water. Initially, he wanted to know how I "go about incorporating real water into a project" and how I keep it from evaporating. After explaining the Envirotex and Mod Podge method that I used, his response was "Although, I still don't believe that isn't real water... It really is, without doubt, the most realistic water I have EVER seen."
Very flattering to say the least!

Comments

• congrats, great honor (shall I say honour) - well deserved!
  • Excellent! Congratulations Bill.

Jerry
  • Now to find a copy on a local newsstand...
  • Well deserved there guy. That is a phenomenal model and a phenomenal build of same! The image selection looks great...well done on all counts...Ken
  • The build of your twin mill's Bill, is still one of my favorite reads. No doubt that the article was well deserved.
  • edited September 2015
    Thanks guys! I've never had anything published, so I wasn't sure what it would ultimately sound and look like.

They edited some stuff from the final article. Here's one question I was asked that they cut out: "What is your advice for people who want to achieve greater realism?" This was my answer:

"Too often we look at the works of other modelers as sources of reference or research. That leads to creative ruts and ultimately mimicking a style as opposed to replicating reality. You'll find yourself building something "because that's the way Joe does it." But, what if Joe got it wrong? What if Joe was color blind? What if Joe was a lunatic?? You'll never develop your own style and interpretation of reality by looking at the way Joe does it. (By the way, I have no idea who "Joe" is. He may be a fine modeler of sound mind and body!)"

Onto the editing room floor with that response!
  • Bill, there is no better person to represent the craft and be included in the "World's Best".
  • Bill,
    Great that you have been recognized as the outstanding modeler that you are. I'll no longer blindly follow Joe and his buddies, but that said, there a few folks on this forum that I know will point me in the right direction and you are among those. I do agree that doing ones own research and then trying to implement those findings into your own models gives an individual flavor to your build. Looking forward to more of your Deer Creek Mine build.
  • Bill, congratulations. I wished they hadn't deleted your answer because it is so true. Great modelers give great ideas to fellow modelers because they weren't afraid to experiment and see what worked best for them. Phil
  • Congratulations Bill on your first publishing, so well deserved.
    Such an amazing diorama and such outstanding modeling, superb to see your work showcased like this. Definitely inspirational modeling for us all, and great that so many more can now enjoy it.

Karl.A
  • Congrats on your awesome work.....Joe CCCModOn30