visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My Rigging Shed so far

edited February 2015 in O Scale Builds
Hello fellow forum members, As I had mentioned previously that I had changed tracks from the Sawmill to work on the Rigging Shed and the Lineside Shed. Here is a photo of the Wood Cutters Shack that I have attempted to create a dilapidated shack and have done some research on cedar shingles. I welcome any critique/comments on the out come. I have also made a padlock and the lock plate on the edge of the side door. A note to Brett, you have gone to such a lot of work on the laser cut pieces for the door knob and plate on this kit that you could also add the door lock plate too, just to add to the extremely good details you make. I took one of the door knob plates, trimmed it down and added a tiny rectangle of wood for the latch thingy.

Comments

• Isn't this the Rigging Shed? This was my first, and maybe favorite, SW build.

As I scrolled down to the pics and hit the shingles I literally said out loud "holy sh.." You have to give a description of how you did that.
  • Thanks Bryan, it is the Rigging Shed, I have no idea why I put Wood Cutters other than senility. I'll do a tutorial soon...David.
  • edited February 2015
    Such a beautiful job on those walls David. The decay and deterioration is so well done. Like Bryan the Rigging Shed was such an enjoyable SWSM kit for me to build, I loved beating up the boards and working on the rotted wood.
    As your pictures so excellently show, taking the time and putting in the effort really pays off, each and every board can be treated as a model unto itself. Your results are superb.

Karl.A

• Thanks Karl, I appreciate that a lot....David
  • David, coloring & weathering of the wood is fantastic...I love this stage of the build as the wood sets the character and mood for the entire structure. Top side looks wonderful as well. Nicely done....
  • edited March 2015
    David-
    This is really terrific work! Outstanding job on the wood. The cedar shakes are spot on! Gray, black, brown and yellow; just like in the real world. Perfect. I have a reference picture that your shingles reminded me of. The yellows are a little more extreme, but it shows what can happen to cedar:

If I could offer one small suggestion...
    I'd tone down the silver lock, white door knob and brass handle on the sliding door ever so slightly. Just lightly hit them with a medium gray chalk to dull them a bit. Even though you've nailed the colors on these three, next to the run down shed they appear new. The lock (while probably right in scale) looks too large to me, but that's only because of the color. It catches the viewers eye.

Brett has this line in almost all of the manuals: "dull and blend the colors so nothing stands out. This doesn't imply bland or boring" or words to that effect. This is one of those times he's talking about, I believe.

This is REALLY a minor nit pick so I hope you're not offended. I wanted to mention it because it's one of those things that can help "sell" the final work and make a viewer say "wait...that's a MODEL?"

Keep it up!
    Bill
  • edited March 2015
    Thank you KKarns and Bill. I value your comments and suggestions. I apologize for the lengthy response time but my brain goes thru bouts of complete shut down now and then....David
  • David,

I've always been intrigued with cedar shakes and how they age. It my area of Southern Ontario it is rare to see any lichen (like above) or moss on cedar shakes. I'm not sure why not, but I think it has to do with the lack of humidity and hot summers that make the cedar shakes just turn grey or black and eventually crack and fall from the roof. However, if you are in wetter settings, like England, you see lots of the lichen on the slate roofs and moss and ferns will grow anywhere.

What have you seen in your area?

Marty
  • Excellent, David . . .
    John
  • uncanny resemblance between the model and the shakes in BIll's photo above! great work! I've always been a bit nervous about adding "moss" but it is essential if modelling anything in even a moderately damp environment….
  • Thanks Marty, John and James. There is not a lot of old cedar shingles around here, I researched a lot on the shingles and decided that a plain grey colour is too bland, so I experimented to come up with this result. As for the moss, it would only take some ground foam to apply in varying amounts depending if the need is to go light or heavy. As Bryan has asked, I will do a tutorial on my roof but at the moment I need to do some more experimenting. ....David