visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#303 O Scale Rigging Shed - Karl.A

2»

Comments

• A beauty by Karl, twelve years old, is testament to the quality of Karl’s craft to be sure, but also to the timelessness of Brett’s designs, quality of materials and instruction.

George
  • Karl, just about ready to start my version of the Rigging Shed having been inspired by this thread and comments by you and others. But have more questions...hope I don't wear you out!

What is saw blade banding? This is mentioned in the manual and also in Brett's other HO kits I have built. Did not pay attention to it there and just followed the book as to brushing and distressing the wood. Are bandings the small parallel vertical lines I can see in one of the pics in the manual. Researched on Google and could not find anything on the subject.

Removable Roof, which I will do. Looks like you needed to deviate from the current manual and added the purlins to the rafters before gluing on the shingles, whereas the current manual adds the shingles first

I will take the plunge and post pictures of my work someplace on the forum . Need to refresh memory of the photo attachment process again. Lots of good info elsewhere on the Forum.

Again your inspirational work and willingness to help others is appreciated.

• edited January 2022
    Jim, saw blade banding is simply marks left on the wood from the saw blade from when it was cut in the sawmill. Yes, the parallel lines on a board would mimic this feature. Parallel lines across the width of the board at an angle. Use a razor blade and tap till you get the effect you want. Not too strong a tap that could cut through the board. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this kit.
  • edited January 2022
    Thanks so much for the great comments Alan, Randy, George, Jim & Jim.
    Keep asking Jim, it's how we learn.
  • JimM, Your explanation of saw blade banding clears my Q up completely. Could not figure how they could be vertical in reference to to length of the board if they were made by a circular saw. Thanks so much. Took a peak at your O'Neill's. Super modeling...just so much of the very best craftsmanship on display here!

Karl, Was my comment about how you built the removable roof on the Rigging Shed accurate?
  • edited January 2022
    Posted 12/30/09

Out house and Resin details.

Planning out the resin placement on the base.

• edited January 2022
    Yes Jim, I added the purlins to the trusses first and then added the shingles to the assembly. Just make sure you have the purlins spaced correctly for the size of shingles you make.
  • edited January 2022
    Posted 01/03/10

Some of the many Metal details and gluing things down.

• Thank you all ( Robert G, Karl and JimM) for sharing photos, commentary and tips. Could not be better prepared to begin my first O Scale kit and because of this the project will be even more fun and rewarding. This forum and its members is unique in my experience and materially augments the Sierra West experience. Wish I had participated more often in the past.
  • Karl, another great build. It just goes to show that your modeling skill and eye for detail has always been top notch. This build can not be distinguished form one of your recent works of art. Just a point of interest for a detail. I grew up on a dairy farm where we shipped milk in ten gallon cans. Each can had our farm code of letters and numbers on the slope at the top of the can. They also tended to have a thin patina of rust as they were kept cool in a cold water tank between pick ups. Just a little bit farm trivia. great work. Randy
  • Karl, outstanding work!
    Is that a Narrow Gage track?
  • Thanks Jim, Randy and Pap,

Yes Pap, it's ON30...

I'll post finished pics with the rail, spikes and all the other details added later this eve.
  • Thanks Karl, I think I'm going to stick with ON3O since a lot of Brett's kits are based on Colorado,Calif, others places for gold mine areas that are Narrow gage
  • Appreciate you taking the time to repost these. I enjoyed the build post and the repost.
  • edited January 2022
    Thanks Pap and Bryan, I enjoyed going back through the old pics again myself.
    Here are some more (but different) of the 'finals' I found.

Build started 12/16/09 .... Finished pics from 01/05/10 , so,

it was 12 years ago but, I still always enjoy looking over at the shelves next to me and seeing it up there on display.

Another amazing kit from Brett, and was only my second SWSM build, if you have the chance to buy one, place the order now.

The smaller details added, scenery blended, rail and spikes installed, finished !!

Details added on the sawhorse, in the crates, NBW's on the reels, plus the rest of the smaller parts.

Hammers, axes, bottles, rags, etc, added as per the manual, can't go wrong.

030a

Fully detailed interior, hoses on the gas bottles, details blended into the scenery, layers, layers, layers, I just followed the instructions.

It's one that I'm still proud of today.
    I know that you'll enjoy yours too.

Karl. A

• Nice trip down memory lane Karl.

Your modeling remains second to none.

George
  • Fantastic work as usual Karl!
    Love the corrugated metal roof.
    Looks like you may have used Etchant Solution to achieve the rusted out sheets.
  • edited January 2022
    Thanks guys, appreciate the kind words.

This build was way before I owned any etchant pap, the rusted out roof was done with a push pin.
  • Karl, Push Pin? Please share that method...thanks
  • Really beautiful modeling.
  • edited January 2022
    When I get time pap..., I'm busy carving some brick walls right now.
    Thanks Jim, it's one of my favourites... but then again, aren't all of Brett's...
  • edited January 2022
    Seeing this really brings back lots of memories, one of my favorite builds of yours. The pair looks so good together. Thanks for "re-posting" this!
  • Great build. Really nailed the weathered wood colour and texture
  • edited February 2022
    Thanks man, lots of good memories indeed, still two of my favorite builds, and they were just the beginning ...
    Thanks Joel, I really appreciate that.