visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Congratulations to Mike Engler for Best of Show at 2014 NNGC

Congratulations to Mike Engler for winning Best of Show at the 2014 National Narrow Gauge Convention with Sierra West Scale Models' Railroad Camp.

Jaime
www.narrowperspective.com

Comments

• edited September 2014
    Awesome news Jaime... congraulaions Mike, well deserved accomplishment for your
    outstanding ability.

SierraWest scores top marks again. Mikes diorama was outstanding last time I saw
    a pic of it and I know he did much more after that.

Pics Jaime, pics !!! come on......

Karl.A
  • Congratulations Mike! Having seen your outstanding diorama in person your awards are really well deserved. This is fantastic modeling with great attention to detail and a very creative arrangement of the numerous buildings and scenes.

Congratulations also on your successful pitch to host the 2018 NNGC in Minneapolis.

• edited September 2014
    Mike Engler also made a bid to bring the 2018 National Narrow Gauge Convention to Minneapolis, MN and won the bid.

Mike will be very busy very soon.

Jaime
  • edited September 2014
    Howdy, gang.

Here are some views of the Best Of Show diorama built by Mike Engler.

Jaime
  • With this Best Of Show win I can count at least 3 different Best Of Show awards at the National Narrow Gauge Convention for a Sierra West kit or kits. A HUGE congratulations to Brett for making the best kits out there.

Jaime
  • edited September 2014
    Another well deserved award for Mr. Engler with a magnificent diorama. Congratulations Mike! Thanks to Jaime for the great pics and kind words too!
  • Wow Mike, Congratulations ! ! ! What beautiful work. Thank you for sharing your time with us here on the forum.

Brett, congratulations - AGAIN . . . .

Respectfully,
    John
  • Thanks Jaime . Terrific pictures as usual from you, fantastic modeling as always from Mike. A real treat to see them, definitely some close studying to be done.

Karl.A
  • Fantastic job and well deserved win. The modeling is outstanding wish I could have been at the convention (work strikes again). Jaime thank you for posting the wonderful pictures can't wait to see more on your website. If you or Mike have more pictures could you post them? Just so much detail to study!
    Jim
  • Congratulations on recognition well deserved.
  • edited September 2014
    Thanks to all of you. Thanks Wes for the links. The second one for final pics is http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35583

It turns out they weren't the final ones as it has grown to 2½ ft by 6 ft, and additional SWSM kits added. It is now comprised of: Railroad Camp; Essentials; Main Street; Woodcutters Shack; Loco and Car Shops; and the Donkey Repair Yard, in the order that I built them. Thanks to Brett for several hundred (a few thousand?) hours of fun and enjoyment. And many awards and accolades.

My friend Jaime has posted many, many photos of my work, and I thank him for posting them. I'll take some more outside before this gets retired to the lower level and post them. The original Camp Chambers was 2 x 4 ft., and was sawed in half a few weeks ago, and put on a new 2½ x 6 ft. piece of 2" thick pink foam. This whole thing only weighs about 25 lbs., but is awkward- it didn't fit in the hotel elevator until we sliced off a small corner. It was like the Laurel & Hardy piano moving scene watching Jaime and I trying to get it into the hotel room.

This was the second Best of Show I was fortunate to win at a National Narrow Gauge Convention, the first being at Colorado Springs in 2009. That also was with a SWSM kit, the Twin Mills of Deer Creek. That one also won First Place in the scratch-building division at the NMRA National Convention in Milwaukee the next year.

This diorama turned out to be very similar to Dave's (ginrr), and I talked to him on the phone and discovered we both were doing it at the same time without knowing it, as there weren't build threads going on. Dave was first at this year's NMRA judged contest in Cleveland.

• Congrats Mike....was lucky enough to be able to see it in person in Kansas City....Great Work
  • Mike your Best of Show is well deserved. The photos show your superior craftsmanship and what years of experience will result in. I now can study your dio and see how to improve mine. I hope some day to meet you and have a fun discussion on the art of craftsman kits and building dioramas. We both owe a lot to Brett for creating the best craftsman kits out there. Thanks for your inspiring creation.

dave