visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

The Boiler for the Saw Mill

edited June 2014 in O Scale Builds
Now on to the Boiler. This was a fairly simple build, really. I had to adjust by sanding the two large resin pieces to align up straight as it was not cut vertical from manufacture, which almost removed the rivets along where the boiler tube and firebox meet. The little details are great such as the valves on the face of the firebox. I used a small piece of monofilament for the site tube and have some Tamiya clear yellow paint which when really close inspection with a magnifying glass you can see thru the tube. I gave it an overall used rust patina but not overly worn. The stack does get more heat and thus the metal will take on a more rusty appearance due to the oxidation. I have several metal fireboxes in my yard with metal stacks which look exactly like this does. And again I put it on a concrete base. After install in the Saw Mill it will be blended together with the scenery more, naturally.

Thank You,

Comments

• Wayne, very nicely done. Concrete work at this stage is wonderful. Your color and weathering on the engine and boiler is well done....nice work.
  • Hi Wayne,
    Great job on the boiler very very nice. Do you plan on adding any white oxide stains from water leaks?
    Jim
  • Looking great Wayne, this is a great part of the whole. The mill engine and boiler are wonderful kits in themselves, and now they have a permanent 'home'. Really nice work on both of them.

Karl.A
  • Hi Wayne,
    Do you plan on adding any white oxide stains from water leaks?
    Jim
    Thanks for positive comments. As with almost all of my SW kits among others, they do not have a home as yet. The Sawmill has to be installed first as I have no idea as the space and arrangement left. When It is time to install them on my layout they will get final weathering and detailing. Now all are sitting on a vacant lot on the layout awaiting the final move.

The boiler will get some water leaks and more attention to detail when installed. Looking at the pictures of the real Sawmill, they do not use this boiler anymore as it is non operational, and there is a brick structure around the stack end of the boiler.
    http://www.sturgeonsmill.com/atlas-steam-engine.html

WLP
  • Wayne, I am watching your work closely. It is beautiful. Please continue to show us what you are doing.

John