visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

The future of Little People?

The recent reappearance of the nail hole debate, comparing it to the use of LP in scenes, has led some to conclude that to use or not to use is a question that will never be resolved. I may be the only one who feels that part of the LP issue comes down to the crude nature of many of the figure offerings, particularly in the smaller scales. I wonder, however, if that will always be the case? We don't often delve into issues of technology on this site but with the advent of 3D scanners and 3D printers I wonder if we might not someday (perhaps soon if someone wants to experiment) see figures crafted in larger sizes for the figure painting and military modeling guys scanned, rescaled and printed in whatever size you like with these devices. To get accurately proportioned figures, perhaps even economically viable one-off samples from customized larger "patterns", may just be a matter of the arrival of refined, affordable technology.

Now painting them, that's another matter...

Comments

• Hi Mike- you make a very good point about the detail of figures and also may I add the lack of appropriate ones for dioramas (logging for instance). Do you know if it possible to have detailed fiqures made on a 3D printer in HO scale or smaller and is there anyone out there who can make them cost effective? Do any of the forum members have a 3D printer who could give some feedback on their use? I was also thinking about tree trunks. Could these be done on a 3D printer also so more detail could be added then carving them out of balsa for example ?

I have always been curious about how Brett makes a master casting (and have been wanting to ask him). His castings are very detailed and as they are painted more detail comes out. His castings are definitely designed and made by a masters hand. Maybe that too is why figures are poor is the lack of a masters hand at crafting them.

Jim Richards
  • Rather than using a 3D printer I'd like to see what could be done with the sophisticated laser work done by others who specialize in that sort of thing (I can think of a couple, one of whom just introduced laser-cut wood siding). I've wondered if it would be possible to make wrappers designed to fit various diameters of wood dowel (or cut to fit if necessary to obtain a taper), then add limbs and attach them to the scenery so that the seam side faces away from the viewer. You could even burn different bark designs into the skins to match different species of tree.

Having spent many hours a few years back playing computer games where you designed your own characters, I'd love to see similar things done with model figurines--pick your base body shape, add clothing from a range of options (patterns, accessories such as suspenders, hats, various shoe/boot types etc.), allow for held objects (add-on axes, peaveys, boxes, etc.; allow for rope, chain, etc.), then add the ability to position the character (bend at the waist, move/turn the head, position arms and legs, etc.); add any additional option of your choice to this menu. Once you have the figure designed to your liking, have the software crank out a data file that could be fed directly to the 3D printer of your choice to render in the scale you select.

It's a good thing that daydreaming (no matter how far-fetched or impractical) is free...