visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Joel's Lineside Shed

Comments

• edited September 2013
    OK following the exact same techniques I finished the latrine and then realized I forgot to add the roof vents to the bunkhouse so I went back and did that. imageimageimage

Now onto the cookhouse. Honestly I'm a bit tired of the building from scratch and I doubt I'll be finished in time for the show if I try and do all four buildings so I cheated and ordered a kit that I'll modify to fit.

Also time to start painting all the castings. A bit tedious but boy does it make all the difference.
  • Superb Joel, they certainly look like they have been out in the woods for a few seasons. I really REALLY like the siding look you have achieved.

Even if they're not finished please do bring them for us to admire in person.

Karl.A
  • really nice work! Love the moss as others have commented on plus the balsa foundations and weathering at the base- very convincing. up here in the northwest even in drier areas there is always moss on wood buildings, particularly north sides. I just added horseshoes to woodcutters shack- may add a tiny bit of rust as you've done.
  • Beautiful Joel. Cool to come back and see those great updates.
  • I'm loving the moss as well, Joel! Excellent!
    Structures certaily seem like they've had a lot of time in the elements...water damage at the bottom is especially well done. I also really like the slight color difference between the siding and the doors.
  • Joel you can do it. Make sure to bring them with you. There really looking good.

Jerry
  • love the siding and the moss... great look
  • OK I've decided to take a day and work on castings. I just collected up all the castings in the kit and bunches from other kits and from the Expo. I figure I'll need them all at some point so just go for it.image

I blackened the metal ones and primed the resin ones with black/ dark rust. I tend to add another step or two so at this point I spray them with hairspray or the new AK chipping solution. After it is dry I paint each barrel or tank, often missing small patches here and there. After about ten min (while the paint has not cured) it is easy to scratch off a bit of paint with a toothpick. Really easy if you left a bit of paint off and have a starting point. If you wait a bit too long you can put a drop of water on the casting to soften the paint and activate the chipping fluid/hairspray.

Here's a couple of examplesimageimage

At this point you could just dust a little chalk powder on and great great results but I really like the effect of adding a bit of water mixable oil paint. It allows me to add chips and extend scrathches. I usually paint the bands of the barrels and then add a few chips and scratches. Sometimes an old oil spill from the contents.

Those are the three brushes I use - the 3-0 to paint with, The big fluffy one to dust and scrub on the chalk and the numb of an old brush to fix up any mistakes.

Here are the castings with paint:image

Now the chalk I use the same 3 colours all the time and usually dark to light so by the time I dump on the 370 only a bit sticks.

The results

Here are some others so you can see the varying effcts. Very forgivable and very simple technique I learned from Brett but apparently some of his adherents find it combersome and messy.
    imageimageimageimageimage

• Sweet. They turned out great.

Thanks for the SBS.
  • Joel they look great. Coloring is perfect. And a nice weathering effect.

Jerry
  • Great work Joel, always a pleasure to reading your tutorials, following along closely since I'll be jumping into the castings for the Shipyard any day now. By the way, is that a pill box holder the pastels are stored in...?

Paul
  • No but that would work fine. This one is about 4-5X bigger so I can dunk the casting right into the compartments.
  • Well as I said before I caved and bought the boarding house from Stoney Creek/. Won't spend a lot of time on the SBS cause it's not SierraWest but I reworked this

Into this:

imageimageimage
  • Joel wonderful bash on Roger's Kit. Great coloring and I really like the way you moved the buildings around.

Jerry
  • Great stuff - can't keep up with your pace! Nice to compare techniques on the small bits - I posted some pics on woodcutters thread of similar bits. I've found the water soluble oils have a high water tension effect which makes application difficult - maybe a bit of detergent or windex would help...
  • That last shot is a real winner Joel.

Love it.
  • Terrific work on the details Joel, they came out superbly.
    A great job on Rogers kit also, very nicely done. The corrugated roof is incredible.

Karl.A
  • Those knots, cracks, and colouring and weathering techniques are really paying off. Enjoying these builds.
  • Ah Karl,
    You'd have to pick out the corrugated roof where I followed your painting techniques to the letter. Thanks so much.

Still a dynamite shed to build but I'm starting on the scenery, at least for the bunkhouse hill.
  • edited September 2013
    Actually Joel that wasn't the reason, however, you have exceeded what I explained to you and now I am trying to copy your results.

Karl.A
  • I'll add that your bash is top notch--as usual. So it looks like you moved the stone shed which was on the far right to the back side of the first structure. Is that right?

Bill
  • That's about it. I took the living quaters and moved them from the back of the office to the side then I moved the stone building as the kitchen in the back. I also turned the wall with the door upside down so I could add a little back porch. I extended the front porch and had to rejig all the roofs. Tah duh. Still took less time than building one of the scratch built bunkhouses.
  • OK time for the messy stuff. Spent a few days putting styrofoam block together in all sorts of combinations and finally settled on this one. The toothpicks and brown cardboard are the spindley walkway:image

Then I added some foam rocks (bragdon method) as out croppings:

Then filled in the rest with sculptamold.

Looks a bit boring so tonight I may add a bit of colour.
  • Looking good, Joel. Can't wait to see the little walkway...such a cool detail!
  • OK first painted it all light grey and tan then when dry I brushed on black tempera powder and washed off the majority so the powder stayed in the cracks.image

They I did three washes of various brown/redish acrylics diluted with lots of water.

Then I added the supports for the walk way made out of some balsa I had lying around.image

Then I added some soil/earth ground foam over the flat areas so I could get a real idea of the topography. I'm more visual and like to see how things fit and move them around until it looks right.
    Added some rocks, twigs and ground up leaves.

the little green flags are so I remember where I had my trees. I might not keep them there but it gives me an idea. Each is numbered and the tree is too so I can place them later (maybe tomorrow).

Here's what it looks like with the bunkhouses in place:

• Joel looks great. Really coming together now.

Jerry
  • Joel, the colours of the rock faces are just about spot on for the rocks that I have here in my village, and they have the same sort of squared off corners to them as well. I just wonder how deep the "soil" would be over them....the walkway looks like it would be sunk into solid rock the way its laid out....is it just an illusion caused by the camera? Apart from the question, which is not intended as a negative comment in any way, the layout of the elements looks just about perfect. Greg in Australia.
  • Hi Joel- The rock colors look great. I am inspired by the scratchbuilding you have done and the overall look your are getting.
    Jim
  • Hey Joel,
    I love it when you take a deep breath and start "slinging" dirt! I agree with Jim, your rock color looks really nice. Your walkway is going to look neat with it appearing to be clinging to the side of the rock walls and illustrating why it's there to begin with! Nice job and I have already commented on the outstanding build on the structures....however, that looks like a really tough approach to the 3rd hole with the pin so close to the edge of the cliff....:) Ken