edited October 2012 in General News & Ramblings
HELLO EVERYONE, I AM BRAND NEW TO MODLEING AND AM LOOKING
FORWARD TO CHATTING WITH YOUALL. I WILL HAVE A LOT OF QUESTIONS
SO PLEASE BEAR WITH ME. I RECEIVED MY FIRST KIT FROM BRET LAST MONTH
AND I AM STILL GRATHERING MY SUPPLIES. PLAN ON GETTING A KIT PER MONTH UNTILL
I RECEIVE ALL OF BRETS O SCALE KITS. I WILL BE MODLING IN On30 WITH A LOGGING
THEME LOOKING FORWARD TO MEETING YOU ALL. THANK YOU, MAC

Comments

• Welcome, Mac. I hope that you enjoy modelling with Brett's wonderful kits. Greg In Australia.
  • Hey Mac - good to see you on the forum and glad you will be diving into the Mill Engine and Boiler House kit. Lots of talented modelers here happy to assist...
  • Welcome to the forum Mac, ask away with any questions you have.

You have definately started your modeling experience at the optimum level.

Brett's manuals and instructions are second to none and they will guide you
    through out your build.

There are many exceptional modellers here that will be happy to answer
    any questions you have along the way.

We look forward to seeing your progress.......

Karl.A
  • Welcome Mac. I have been modeling since 1964 and I do say that Brett's kits and manuals are top of the list as to what is available. I have purchased everything from Life-Like snap together to the yellow box kits. I also scratch build too. I am historically a HO modeler and currently I am working on a On30 railrway with two friends.
  • Welcome Mac and a big ditto to everything Karl A says. I enjoy helping new modelers almost as much as actually modeling so bring on the questions and don't be shy!

Kevin O
  • HI, JUST A QUICK QUESTION. I AM IN PROCESS OF BUYING THE THINGS
    I NEED TO BULID THESE AMAZING KITS. GOT THE CHOPPER AND SANDING TOOL
    ORDERED, ABOUT 80% OF THR PAINT. QUESTION IS DO I NEED TO BUY AN AIRBRUSH
    AND IF SO CAN YOU RECOMMEND A BRAND OR TYPE THAT I SHOULD GET.
    THANK YOU FOR FEED BACK
  • I don't use an airbrush. Don't forget the chalks.
  • Mac, a good airbrush is useful for making locomotive and rolling stock kits, and for painting plastic buildings. You don't really need it for Brett's kits, as his is board by board.
    If you want to buy one, get a good double action one (this will let you spray lines of varying thickness by pulling the trigger backwards)...I use an Iwata and am very happy with it. Greg in Australia.
  • yep Iwata is a great brand but no need for my kits... Good advice from both brothers here as well Mac!
  • I use my airbrush all the time on Bretts kits......

( Still in its sealed box as a smooth wieght to keep the kit walls flat as they dry over night ) :~)

In all seriousness, an airbrush is definately not used on these kits. As Greg states though they are usefull in other areas of modelling,
    If you decide you need one, buy the best you can afford as with any good tool.

However my Pasche dual action is still sitting in its unopend box from 5 years ago....

That was $90 that should have been spent more wisely and enjoyably on a detail set.....

Karl.A
  • Hey Mac
    I find my brand spankin new Iwata to be very useful indeed. It really wows visitors to my work studio as it sits there all shiny next to it's pretty little compressor. Never been used at all though as that would get it all dirty and paint stained and my obsessive compulsive self just could not handle that ha ha!
    As the rest of the gang says you just don't need one for Bretts kits and his techniques. Sure you could use one to prime some castings but a spray can is good enough and even they are not needed as there is nothing that can't be primed with a brush. Painting the castings is my favorite thing to do so when you get to them please ask me any questions you want and I will paint along with you.

Kevin
  • I agree that an air brush is an expensive "another thing to clean". When I need to spray something like castings or brick walls, I use the cheap "rattle can" sprays from HD or Menards. They are aout 1/3 the price of the Floquil or Testor spray cans and last several times longer.
  • I HPOE THAT EVERY ONE HAD A GREAT THANKSGIVING. I DO HAVE A QUESTION, I HAVE GOT ALL MY CHALKS AND PAINTS THAT I NEED NOW I AM ORDERING MY PAINT BRUSHES FORM MIRCO MARK. QUESTION IS SHOULD I GET THE SABLE BRUSHES OR THE GOLDEN EAGLE SETS. DON’T KNOW WHAT TYPE WOULD BE BEST FOR WHAT WE HAVE TO DO FOR BRETS MODELS. THANK YOU FOR FEED BACK
  • Personally I use a mid price range brush set available from any art store such as Michaels.
    A multi size/shape set, with a good range.

Pastels/chalk will degrade a brush, however much you spend on it.
    Keep separate brushes for chalk and paint.

A good fine tipped brush for the small stuff such as barrel rings and a wide brush for chalk washes. Anything inbetween you will get your own feel and personal preference for.

Dont buy super cheap brushes from the Dollar store as all the bristles will fall out
    while you are trying to use them.

Karl.A