visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Congratulations to Bill Obenauf on wining Best of Show at Expo 2012

Congrats to Bill for taking Best of Show at the 2012 Fine Scale Model Railroad Expo.

Congrats goes to Brett as well for taking another Best of Show with Twin Mills at a major modeling contest. Twin Mills is a winner!

I put up some photos of the show here:
https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A65oqs3qD8bff

Jaime
www.narrowperspective.com

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Congrats Bill, that's awesome!

Thanks again, Jamie, for providing some great pictures to those of us who could not make it. The way they were uploaded made it very easy to view on my iPhone. I know it takes time but is appreciated.

-Jim
  • edited October 2012
    Big time congrats to Bill for his very well deserved win at the Expo. It was great to meet him and his beautiful wife Donna. They are just a really nice couple and it was a treat to spend time with them.
    His build of Twin Mills has to be seen in person to get the feel of just how good it is. The over all balance of color tone and texture is perfect. Nit pickers, don't even bother, there is nothing for you here. I was amazed to learn that this is only Bills third major build! There is a ton of artistic talent and natural ability shown in this build. As Dave Revelia said at the dinner, "you have set the bar high" but I know your next build will show that you're up to the task.
    Again, congrats my friend and fellow minion and I will talk to you soon.

Kevin (OM)
  • Great to meet you Bill, hopefully as time goes on we can continue to compare notes. Congrats on a well deserved win. Your build was fantastic to see in person. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.
  • edited October 2012
    Congratulations Bill, an outstanding job on an outstanding kit. Congratulations Brett on ANOTHER "Best in Show" award for your incredible kit. A truely remarkable achievement.

Bill, your ability to see things from 'reality' that most other modellers overlook and then produce the results and build them into the scene really made this diorama stand out, beautiful modelling.

Karl.A
  • Very well done Bill. This has been a show stopper from the beginning and your award is a true testament to that. Well done to Brett as well. This model is a contest winning machine.
  • Very well deserved Bill! Congrats buddy, you made me proud. I am blown away each time the Twin Mills takes top honors at a major show and am very blessed to have such incredible modelers building the kits I manufacture...
  • Hey Boss
    Of course congrats to you as well on another win for definitely one of the nicest kits we have ever seen in the hobby. I had a great time this weekend!!
    OM
  • Thank you all for the nice words!
    Jamie-thank you for posting the picture.
    Jim & Wes--the Expo is an awesome event and you really need to attend some time.
    Karl, Kevin, Brett, Joel, Kaz, and Paul--it was great to finally meet all of you. Donna and I really enjoyed dinner Friday night. Did anybody get a picture?

• Bill

Congratulations. Great build. I'll let Carl Laskey know when I talk to him this week. I'm sure he will be happy to hear the news.
    Great meeting you.

Jerry
  • Congradulations Bill, fantastic build and it was really nice meeting you at the Expo. ... and you're next build will be.....? forgot to take my camera to the brewery on Friday night....

Paul
  • Bill, again congratulations on your award and for building an incredible model. And it was great to finally get to meet you after a lot of emails and phone calls.

And hats off again to Brett for producing the kit of all time- Twin Mills. Here are three of the at least four national Best of Show winners that I know of- Carl Laskey, myself, and Bill. Elliott Moore was not in Strasburg but won at the NNGC in St. Louis. Picture by Jaime, of course.image
  • Bill,

Congratulations on the Best of Show ! What you have built is inspiring. I have looked at your posts many times for the creative ideas you have shown us during your build and how I can improve my castings and building techniques. I am still amazed how quickly you built Twin Mills and the amount of detail you have done.

The highest praise I can give you is what happened at my workplace. I was looking at your pictures and several of my coworkers asked where the sawmill was located. I explained that this is a model of a sawmill. They were very surprised!

I am looking foward to watching your next build! Please post pictures of your layout as well and how Twin Mills looks incorporated into the layout.

Jim
  • Jim-
    Thanks very much for your message. I'm very flattered!
    I hope when your co-workers asked where the mill is located, you said to them "I don't know...some dude's basement!"

I think there are