visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Dealer Just Doesn't Get It...

edited February 2012 in General News & Ramblings
A "dealer" recently offered one of my newer kits for sale. (Since I do not sell to dealers this is a secondary market re-sell.) They advertise that the kit is for "experienced modelers only". Seriously? A dealer MUST take the time to know what they sell and how to market it properly. In this case all the dealer has to do is get on my website for two minutes and see that SierraWest kits appeal to all experience levels and in fact have a tremendous following with new modelers because of the instructions provided in each kit. So why am I sharing this with you? It is very frustrating to spend the better part of my adult life producing kits that are PERFECT for beginers only to have an uniformed re-seller make such an "authoritative" and totally ignorant statement. There are some fantastic dealers in our hobby that take the time to learn about what they sell. I used to sell my kits to over 150 dealers worldwide but stopped for various reasons and enjoyed working with many of these folks. Unfortunately the landscape changed and most are gone... Now anybody with a keyboard and an internet connection is suddenly a "dealer"!!!!

Have a Great Day!

Comments

• edited February 2012
    Personally I don't believe there are "experienced" modelers but rather modelers gaining experience with each project they do; it's a process, not a state. I've never ceased to be amazed at the effort Brett puts into his instructions; they are absolutely the best out there and more likely than not will point the builder to many of the newest, simplest and best techniques available for achieving beautiful results. If I have any complaint it is that he makes the temptation to switch from HO- to O-scale almost irresistible...
  • I started doing modeling in trains in 1968. I am still learning. The only ones I have had trouble with were the "...I know everthing..." types. Any model rail can do any kit if they have some manual dexterity and are willing to be patient and go carefully.
    Keep up the good work Brett. Thank-you for some wonderful modeling hours and I look forward to many more. I enjoy your kits and your instructions.
  • edited March 2012
    I can only concur with the above statements, but I would like to share this....
    If Brett's kits are for "experienced modelers only" why is it that so many modeling contest are show places for Brett's products with the built-up kits/dioramas often taking home top honors? This is not a function of lots 'experienced modeler's' around the world who all just happen to be building Brett's products, but it is a function of outstanding kit design along with really outstanding instructions which include detailed techniques to produce exceptional models/dioramas. To build an exceptional model using one of Brett's products, all one needs to do is take the time to read and follow the instructions and some care during the assembly. But I'm sure most of you reading this already know this as you probably have a few of Brett's kit's 'under your belt'.