visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O'Neills - My first Sierra West Build

After attending Brett's clinics at last year's NMRA Convention in Grapevine, TX and having had the opportunity to speak to him in person, I am taking "the plunge". Brett's reassuring explanations of the techniques he and many others rely on for building the kits he produces convinced me that I too, can do it. Maybe (Well, most likely) not at the artistic level some on this forum truly exhibit, but something that I will be proud of.

I am planning to share my progress along the way, not quite to the detail level of a build thread, but rather to a) coax my motivation to continue so that I can post an update, and b) (more importantly) to ask for feedback and advice from the forum community.

This will NOT be a build with daily updates, or one that will be complete in six months. I am gainfully employed in a job that takes usually more than 40 hours a week, plus the sailing season is just starting. Nevertheless, I look forward to disappearing into my cave and working on O'Neills regularly.

Here are a couple of pictures to start:
001 - O'Neills before start (Large)
My "virgin" O'Neills kit on my workbench before the start.

002 - O'Neills first batch stained (Large)
003 - O'Neills first batch stained (Large)
First batch stained using Brett's methods - my hunch is I used a bit too much chalk and too little alcohol (input welcome).

005 - O'Neills MainWalls Dampbrushed (Large)
004 - O'Neills MainWalls Dampbrushed (Large)
The damp-brushed walls of the main building laid out on the glass work surface. On some of the earlier groups, I was a bit heavy handed (light means REALLY light), but overall I am fairly pleased. I think I was a bit too sparing on the knot holes. My excuse is I did not want to overdo it.

One thing I really enjoyed was the warm brown wood tones achieved with the artist chalk/alcohol method, vs. the alcohol stains that I had used in the past. Whichever variation of those I use, they seem to turn the wood mostly into a coldish gray, with a slight tint of what the bottle says. I sure will try Brett's techniques too on other kits.

Any input is welcome.

Comments

• edited March 18
    Looks great to me. Nice job!

And welcome to the forum I'm sure you will like it here.

Jerry
  • I agree...fantastic start to a great build. Look forward top following along with your work on this great kit! Welcome to the forum my friend.
  • Boards look very nice. Nice variation. Great start. Looking forward to your build.
  • Very nice start
  • It looks great. I loved building the O'neills, it is a fantastic kit. Enjoy the ride.
  • Welcome to the forum. You will learn a lot from those contributing. Having just completed O'Neill's (took me 8 months) it was a great kit to build. It has some intricate parts to it, but take your time and it will turn out great. Your initial wood work is spot on so you are off to a great start. Have fun.
  • Thanks for all the welcomes and positive feedback. I do look forward to the time spending to complete this build, and learning some new skills along the way. Hoping to get a bit of workbench time this weekend.
  • Nice work and yes Brett's instructions are great. This forum does help to teach new skills in achieving great builds.
  • Great start on your first build.
    Nice colours and variation, those boards are going to look so good when you have them up on the wall.

Keep us updated, it's always fun to follow a build.
  • As another relative new person to building Brett's kits I look forward to following your progress. You have a really great start with your wood. Randy
  • Thanks for the additional encouraging feedback, Kevin, Karl and Randy.

Other "Stuff" this weekend kept me from making too much progress, but I did get my first wall done. It's amazing how pictures just magnify everything. I thing I overdid it a bit with "chewing off" the boards on the left end of the wall.
    006 - O'Neills Left Wall 01 (Large)
  • Love this build so far, you're doing an awesome job. This wall looks fantastic!
  • The color and variation in the wood on the walls is just great! Great start!
  • Thanks for the positive comments! Hoping to get some good modeling time in this coming weekend to complete the remaining walls for the main building. I must admit I was dreading the tediousness of the board by board process a bit, but once i got into the groove I was in my zen.
  • What a great start to this amazing kit. Love the damp brushing effect
  • Great work on the coloring and the first board by board wall. Don't rush the other walls. Take your tome and your work will show it. Randy
  • One question I do have - what do any of you do about bracing? I am noticing some slight warping of my first wall, even after putting it under some weight for about a day or two after I finished it. I have not seen Brett emphasizing this in his instructions.
  • Consider bracing edges of walls so they can be joined later. Don’t let edge braces on adjacent walls interfere with one another!
  • I just finished doing O'Neill's and remember calling Brett about bracing. He did not feel it was necessary and I don't believe I used any bracing. The tower uses corner triangles and my walls did not warp. I've really only had to use bracing on kits where you just glue the prefinished walls together as they are not board on board.
  • I tend to add some corner bracing and occasionally some horizontal...sometimes to locate a floor for detailing a door opening or as a light block if I light a structure....as a few have stated if you follow the steps in the instructions its not needed. Some acrylic paints can cause some bowing, as do some stains....just add a brace if this happens...
  • Ok, made some more progress over the weekend, and got the walls of the main building completed.

Still without windows:
    008 - Four Walls (Large)

Fabricated windows - they went together real well, including the pre-cut mylar, which is awesome:
    012 - Windows and Doors Main Building (Large)

I am noticing that my cutting board should probably be renewed. I enjoy working on the glass surface for all staining and painting, but prefer the cutting mat for general modeling, including cutting, graining and assembly.

The four walls including Windows and Doors:

014 - Left Wall with Windows and Doors (Large)
    009 - Right Wall (Large)
    016 - Front and Rear Walls with Windows and Doors (Large)

As shared earlier, I did notice some slight warping. It was enough to had me add some braces, in particular since the interior will not be visible. I used some 1/8" basswood that I had on hand, and the walls are now completely straight.
    017 - Left and Right Walls Bracing (Large)

I started with the addition and got my wood stained.

018 - Wood Stained for Addition and Tower (Large)
  • Very nice work keep it up.........
  • Looking really nice. Good job on the wood. It looks great. It's a fun build and looks like you're doing a great job. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Take care.
  • I like the color of the windows and doors. Randy
  • Just catching up. Great start and coloration on the walls
  • Nice work
  • Doors and windows turned out great! Like the color, they compliment the wall color very well.
  • Looking good so far, wood colouring is great.
  • I did find a bit of time this weekend to work on the addition. I decided that I wanted to give the addition a "lived in" look and put some light into tit, and therefore created an interior with the necessities for the plant foreman's domestic life - a stove, a bed and a little wardrobe. I located some scraps to add a wood floor and found some castings and 3d prints in my stash that looked appropriate. I did not bother with cleaning them up and detailing too much, since they will be just seen through the window (I won't make the addition roof removable).
    020 - Addition Interior 02 (Large)

I also found what I thought would be appropriate wallpaper, and attached it to the back and side walls with transfer tape (I love transfer tape for these applications) rather than glue.
    021 - Addition Interior Back Wall (Large)

All parts are ready for the addition to be assembled. I left the windows clear to make sure the interior will be visible. Will have to experience with the right amount of resistance for the amount of light that I want in there, my intention is to just fill the interior with a nice warm glow.
    PXL_20240407_172631991 (Large)