visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Updating The Shipyard

Hello everyone,

One of the first kits I built when I got back in the hobby was The Shipyard. I've since refined my modeling a bit and I was unhappy with the job I did on the kit, particularly the roof. Over the last couple weeks, I replaced the roof with an individual shingle roof while the kit was installed on a 36"x36" chunk of my layout. It was one of the more challenging modeling tasks I've done and somehow, I managed to not disturb any of the rest of the structures in the scene. Here are the results of my efforts.

The before:

IMG_4384_result
IMG_4385_result
IMG_4386_result
IMG_4387_result

After:
IMG_4468_result
IMG_4469_result
IMG_4470_result
IMG_4471_result

And here is the scene reinstalled on the layout:

IMG_4472_result

For the shingles I used scale 1x6s stained with A&I. I've used real cedar in the past and I ended up having a difficult time getting the weathered gray I wanted, and this is much easier to get consistency in sizing as well.

I'm going to update the rest of the scene as well, but I can do that with it installed on the layout.

-Steve

Comments

• Absolutely beautiful work Steve. Really nice to see hear from you on the forum, been awhile my friend! Nice shot of the amazing layout. The re-work was brilliantly done, and adds so much to the model...solid decision.
  • Wonderful work of art your skills are right at the top........Great Job Steve...........
  • those shingles look fantastic. Really love seeing the layout especially. Please be sure to share pics once you pour the water!
  • I really like the individual look....the tones differ so well from shingle to shingle...
  • Thanks Ken, good to hear from you!

Thanks Carl, that means a lot coming from you!

Thanks Brett, I'm excited to add the water so I caulked all the little cracks tonight. The pour always takes some courage, but I've done a few rivers already, so I have some confidence. Maybe this week if I'm feeling brave.

Thanks Art, the variation in color just comes from variation in each strip of wood, they were all Northeastern 1x6s dunked in A&I. I didn't do anything to make each one darker or lighter. I did a light white drybrushing when I was done, just to fade them a little and pull them all together a bit.

I haven't been doing much modeling lately but hopefully that will change with the new year. The layout is at the detailing stages and that's the stuff I like the most so it should be easier to keep motivated.

Thanks everyone,
    Steve

• edited January 5
    I’ve just finished the main building roof for this kit. And now you have the honor of doing it twice in your lifetime! BTW very well done.
  • Turned out GREAT! Nice variations. Really adds to the structure. Like how you incorporated into your layout.
  • Nice modeling, Steve.
    Terry
  • Thanks everyone!

• Holy crap Steve!! That is amazing work all the way around. One could spend hours just looking at all the fine detail work you have done here. I hope my layout turns out even half as nice as what yours is. Simply incredible!!
  • Hey Steve great to see you back here. Beautiful work as usual. You do raise the standard on how things are suppose to look.

Jerry
  • ABSOLUTELY AMAZING !!!!!!
  • Awesome looks great. I pre ordered the kit. I am new here and thanks for letting me in.
  • What a huge difference shingles make. Great looking layout.
  • Thanks everyone!
  • Looked good before..... looks amazing now!
  • Thanks Mike!
  • Always such a pleasure to admire your work Steve, thanks for sharing those pics of the next steps you took. Beautiful work
  • Thanks Karl!