visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Hi Men. Do any of us have another hobby???

In my spare time I like to build Canoes.
They come as a kit so here is what it looks like.

P1030238

P1030223

P1050438

P1030331

P1050453

P1050440

IMG_7677

IMG_7742

IMG_7692

Comments

• Carl that looks like a great hobby. You get to work with wood and end up with a beautiful canoe when you are done. I assume you sell them or build them for someone?

I, unfortunately, play golf in the summer and after hours of hitting the ball and chasing it I end up with a scorecard. Right now I wonder why I do it?

Mitch
  • Beautiful Canoe Carl
  • I've always wanted to do a wood kayak kit. It was going to be one of two projects that I was going to do with my dad before he passed. My hobby is also my profession. I am a sheet metal shaper, or coachbuilder (depending on who you talk to). I make the body parts for rare, old, or custom vehicles. I've built vintage Porsches, Ferraris, Bentleys, Delahaye's, Aston Martin's, various Hot Rods, among many others and will be starting a Duesenburg Boattail (1 of 2 made) in about two weeks.
  • Thats very cool Mike, I've always enjoyed watching metal working restorers, from the panel beating to the 'English wheel' and creating all those curves and forms from a flat piece of metal.
    I think the hood on an E Type is 13 pieces welded together and shaped to perfection, it is a beautiful art to watch.
  • edited December 2023
    does playing guityar count as a hobby?
    what a beautiful canoe. back in my younger days i did some canoing in quetico provincial park. i would never take a gorgeous canoe like this one up there though. aluminum only up there.
  • Carl beautiful woodworking.

Jerry
  • WOW Carl, shouldn’t surprise me tho, I’ve seen pix of your woodworking ability in your home construction.

My other “hobby “ is writing (compiling) books….3 on vietnam, 1 on modeling techniques and 2 more regarding the Vietnam War….as you can see, I left Vietnam but Vietnam has never left me.

Terry
  • Beautiful canoe Carl! I dabble in gardening.
  • Fantastic, Carl! Real fine work shown here. My other hobby is cooking which I find very similar to model building-- the more you do it, the more comfortable you get with techniques and better at hiding your mistakes!
  • Beautiful work on that canoe Carl ! And it seems you've got plenty of help of the big guys there.. :smiley:
  • I can appreciate all the work that goes into one of these. Nice looking canoe sir.
  • I want to Thank everyone for the kind words it has been a good project for me.
    his one is the Traveler at 17 foot ...........Here is their web sight.
    www.newfound.com.
  • Karl, e types are one of the prettiest cars out there, but they are very intricate on how they are assembled. I got about half way through one before it got pulled from the customers lack of funds. I think I spent a full day disassembling all the brackets and individual pieces holding that hood together.

Metal working was something that I fell into by chance, discovered I loved it, and haven't looked back once. Every piece is different, challenging, and rewarding. It takes a while to get to the rewarding part though lol.
  • Beautiful canoe
  • edited December 2023
    Mike, as far as I remember they were entirely hand built, piece by piece, one of my dream cars, I almost got one for free once from a customer who was restoring it.
    He was adding A/C to it but got stalled, due to his age, and then he passed. I always regret that missed opportunity,
    along with many others, haha.
    They are beautiful cars.
  • Great looking canoe. Love the mix of wood colors. Randy
  • One other hobby.

P1050889

P1050893

P1050889

P1050903

P1040934

P1040932

P1050694

P1050667

• Now your talking expensive hobby. Randy
  • One other hobby.

P1050889

P1050893

P1050889

P1050903

P1040934

P1040932

P1050694

P1050667

did you build these too?

• I did Kevin.
  • Let's see Canoe, Cars & House! Plus SWSM models! Just what are going to build next???

Jerry
  • Planing a Brick Shit House stand by .............Hah.
  • my wife started coloring with prismacolor pencils. she's taken a class through aarp and after 6 classes she did this.
    liz's lady bug

so for the hell of it i took the first two classes and this is the 2nd class.

kev's apples

so i'm all about her going all in and to demonstrate that i bought her the set of 150 prismacolor pencils i won't post any more of them.
  • How much for the 2 peaches? LOL
  • That is a great Lady Bug. Tell her she did really good.

Hey Kev you did good for just the two classes.

Jerry
  • ALCO said:

How much for the 2 peaches? LOL

apples. those are apples.

• Craft work is so good for the mind and gives us time to relax tell your wife her work is very nice. ...........
  • kebmo said:

ALCO said:

How much for the 2 peaches? LOL

apples. those are apples.

I’m glad you told us that as I was going to complement you on how you managed to get those tomatoes looking so real !

Nick
  • Tomatoes? Why didn’t I think of that? HAHA
  • tomatoes? those are snooker balls.