visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Storage Rack & Packing Material Usage

Threw together a storage rack for all the delectable SierraWest Scale Models 3D Printed parts storage bins (see figure 1.)
While I was at it, made use of all the packing advert material from the acquisition of same to create a motivational SWSM collage (see figure 2.) Now go build something!

IMG_7356

(Figure 1.)

IMG_7355

(Figure 2.)

Comments

• Nicely Done Ken.
  • Ken, Nice looking storage cabanete. How wide are the storage boxes? Randy
  • Hey thanks Karl…utility A+…craftsmanship C- lol.

Works at least and thanks Randy! They are 10.5 inches and are typical compartmented plastic bins with hinged lids.
  • Great idea Ken. And not to hard to make one.

Jerry
  • Looking at the side , you're a big fan !!! :smiley:
  • Not at all Jerry. Cutting the angle aluminum slides takes a little time and to avoid having to drill and countersink holes to attach them, I just used some epoxy and glued them on. Very little weight to those boxes.

Glad you mentioned that Robert as that was the main motivator for the quick post! Every time I received some SWSM 3D parts I took the wonderful art work and glued it to the side. When I get equal quality parts from another manufacturer I glue those on too...none yet!
  • I love this idea Ken. I am tired of shuffling all of those around myself. Time to fire up the table saw. Now.... where to put it?? :blush:
  • Ken,
    Great looking storage rack. It looks like you cleared out your local Container Store for those storage boxes I have been using those boxes for details parts and a second set for figures plus a third set to store my chalk sticks.
    Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Great idea Ken! Really frees up space from all the casting boxes and the collage is a motivator!
  • edited November 2023
    That's exactly what drove me to say enough is enough Emery! I had them just stacked on top of each other and had to, as you accurately described, shuffle them around to get the one I needed. The ones I have for detail parts are the square compartment ones
    15-20 per box depending on the brand.

Right Dave! I picked them up whenever I saw a good price. I still need a few more as the 3D parts inventory continues to grow thanks to SWSMs.
  • Damn Tom, we think alike! I decided to go vertical as high as I could as this is wasted space anyway. Had to keep that awesome art work of Brett's from the parts packaging.
  • I also use a couple boxes for a selection of natural scenic materials in manageable quantities that can be set right next to the area I'm working on, and re-stocked from my bulk storage.

IMG_7359
  • Great idea for the scenery material to.

Jerry
  • Works out nicely for my work flow. You stuff will be coming soon Jerry and thanks.
  • So,…are you memorizing which parts are in which containers…or will you label them? My bet is you’ll memorize what’s where! HAHA
  • I’m getting old Al but not that old! That’s the beauty of the arrangement, I put them back where I got them so I know who’s who.:)
  • Just need a label on each box with a brief description of what's inside.
  • Thanks Ken.

Jerry
  • There ya go Tom!

You bet Jerry!
  • Ken I meant to ask you were do you get the plastic boxes??

Jerry
  • I have a mixture of manufacturers here and as I recall, most were purchased at Hobby Lobby. The outside dimension are consistent just the number and configuration of the compartments is slightly different (15-18 depending).
  • If you look on Amazon...you can sometimes find them in multiples cheaper
  • I've always got mine from Walmart craft section for about $5.