visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Blacksmith Shop Build

Ever since receiving the 3D Blacksmith details I have been pondering scratch building a Blacksmith Shop. I have Googled Blacksmith Shops and viewed many pictures to get ideas and inspiration. I think I'm ready to start the build. I started with the 3D Detail Parts for the shop and am very pleased how nice they are. I'm starting with these details and will progress through the build with other photos. Hope you enjoy what I am building and can gain some inspiration to start your own building threads.

Starting with an overall of the detail parts
SW Blacksmith Details Resize

A close-up of the parts
SW Blacksmith Details 2 Resize

SW Blacksmith Details 3 Resize

Putting into perspective the size of the parts
Forge Resize

Anvil Resize

Swedge Blocks Resize

Comments

• They look really good....my shop is slowly taking shape...I'll be watching with interest.....I posted a few real shop photos on my thread......
  • Are you thinking of lighting up the forge?
  • Tom,

Fine job on preparing the forge details. Your closeup photos really show the realism of the forge set. Again great execution of the forge details painting I am really looking forward to your design and build of the shop.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Wonderful detail work Tom!
  • You're doing a great job. Damn, those suckers are small.
  • Wow Tom that's some amazing work, beautifully finished on everything.
    The subtle colour changes, the blending, and yet the definition of everything.
    Really well done.
  • Excellent Tom! Thanks for sharing this gem.
  • Thanks for the nice comments guys! It has been a fun project so far. I'm planning to incorporate more details once I get the structure built. Playing around with some ideas for that.

ALCO, I'm not planning on lighting the forge. While that would be a neat detail, I am not proficient with the lighting thing. It looks and sounds too confusing to me. I know there are special kits for installing lighting, it's not something I'm into.
  • Well, it will still be very interesting to see your vision unfolds!
  • edited November 2023
    Here are the walls so far. I need to weather them, but the layout is finished.

Walls Outside resize

Walls Intside resize

The wall with the 4 windows will have tilt out windows and they will be above a workbench. This wall will be the rear of the structure. The false front is the front, The long wall without any features is the right wall and the forge will be on this wall. The long wall with the door is the left wall.
  • Very nice!

Jerry
  • Walls are looking great Tom, should be a great structure.
    I have something similar planned drawn out in O so I'll be following you closely, as always.

Also great pics of the parts in your fingers, that really shows how good your work is, how detailed the parts are, and small.
  • Super details. The wood weathering looks top notch. Well done.
  • Shaping into a wonderful project. Outstanding job on the Blacksmith Shop 3D Printed details! Really captured all the fine details in the parts.
  • edited November 2023
    I have the walls weathered and detailed on the interior so far. I'm going to have to wait till I get them put together to do any more detailing as I need to know the placement of the main blacksmith details.

The inside of the front wall
    20231114_152625 Resize

The inside of the right side wall. The forge is going in the center of the wall.
    20231114_152712 Resize

The rear wall! this was the most fun to detail. I knew I wanted the 4 windows over a workbench. I have many SW and FSM workbench detail parts, but none fit under the window. they were mostly too short. I also knew I wanted a shelf on each side of the workbench. Among the many SW cast shelf units I have, none fit so I built both the workbench and shelves. I treally enjoyed detailing them.
    20231114_154037 Resize

The inside of the left wall
    20231114_155710 Resize
  • I forgot to add this view of the right wall to show the drill press.20231114_152826 Resize
  • Great job with detailing the walls Tom. I noticed the beer bottles on the front wall. nice touch. I do the same with my builds. The workbench with the drawers and shelves with all the detail parts look great. Looking forward to seeing all the blacksmith details added. Randy
  • Excellent work on the walls Tom. That rear wall came out really nice, look forward to seeing things come together.
  • edited November 2023
    Thanks for the comments guys. In review I forgot to add this shot of the rear wall showing more of the details.
    20231113_142038 Resize
  • Just look at all that detail goodness!! Nice organized bench there.
  • Nice Emery!..."detail goodness" perfect description of what I see here!...Modeling nectar!
  • I wish my bench was that clean!
  • very nice Tom
  • Fantastic progress Tom, so much wonderful detail to take in and enjoy.
    Well done indeed, on everything.
  • Great job on the workbench and shelves! Top Notch.
  • Tom.
    This is special the weathering spot on a nice gray on the outside and a very nice color on the inside and what makes this special I can see all of the detall on the inside and that is a real life look........Good Job.........Carl
  • Love those details! Nice job with the coloring and placement of them.

Jerry
  • Thanks for the nice comments. I appreciate the support.
  • Great detail work. Particularly the long work bench.
  • Nice build going on.