visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

First Craftsman Model Complete

Comments

• The first picture shows where this will fit in my layout. This will be a great addition into my red rock canyon scene. the one challenge i'm having though is i didn't catch the fact that the track that leads into the hopper area was narrow gauge and i'm all HO. right now i have an HO track in there but no HO cars will fit, at least none i have.
  • Nice job coloring and detailing. Nice coloring on the scenery also.

Jerry
  • edited February 2023
    Nice work on the mine. Great color variation on the hoist house shingles and just a hint of rust on the metal roof panels.
    Well done
    Terry
  • Superb! A real treat to see these pics. First one huh? All the more impressive. Thanks for sharing these.
  • It's very good. Thanks for posting
  • Really nice work and your first fine scale craftsman kit!...you should be very proud of the results. I detect a desert flair to the landscape which is well suited for The Mine.
  • If this is the first, I sure cant wait to see the next!! Wow, what a great job.
    Keep up the photos. Would love to see pics of the layout. Thanks for sharing this.
  • Oh wow that came out fantastic!
  • Really well done. You should be proud.
  • Thanks everyone for the kind words. Not to sound corny but Brett’s instructions are so detailed, they can really enable you to do things you didn’t know you were capable of doing. I just bought another craftsman kit (lumber camp) while i await my next Sierra West model…what i got was a box of strip wood with two pages of terrible instructions. No castings…nothing to help make the kit come to life. So i’ve decided to scrap the instructions and scratch build some lumber camp structures using the techniques I’ve picked up doing this kit. Hoping i can find some detail castings online to help build out the scene.
  • look no further than right here for your details. brett's got loads of excellent details.
  • Kevin's right, no better place for tons of great details.
  • @EmeryJ i thought the best way to show the layout was to create a short video of this project that's taken over my life (in a good way). here is a link to a youtube video i just published.

• Wow! That is a fantastic start and a great space! I gave you a subscribe over there (I am officially your first subscriber!), and I'm interested to see how it turns out!
  • I am impressed with how much you have accomplished in only one year. Please keep us updated. Randy
  • I’m recently retired so this is now my full time job (when I’m not golfing).
  • i subscribed to it too. you did an amazing amount of fine work in a year. wanna come over and light a fire under my ass?
  • Your mine turned out great! Fits nicely into your layout. Your workshop and work areas are first class! The layout video is a nice intro to your hobby. thanks for sharing.
  • Outstanding layout. Video sure took out all the questions. Wow.... think I need to tear out my setup and start over.
    Man, that is superb!!
  • edited February 2023
    VERY impressive start to the layout. I sub'd.

The construction, finishing, detailing and weathering of your Deer Creek Mine are all exceedingly well done. Beautiful job on a fantastic kit.

Brett says it over and again on the webpages and in the manuals... the kits, instructions and techniques are designed so well that any modeller, at any level can produce the same results to be very proud of. Just follow the manual/instructions.
    That is not to take anything away from your fantastic result, as we all know it takes many hours of practice, hard work, trial, some errors, and patience, however, outstanding results like yours can be had by us all.

There are quite a few new first time modellers here on the forum over the recent months that are showing us all, over and over how true this is. We would all like to see more joining in.

What a wonderful example of a great kit you have completed, and also, an inspirational view of turning a thought, into a dream, into a layout.