visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Drill Bits

2»

Comments

• I have found the drill bits made by Rodgers are one of the best I have used. They come in a a small base with a cover #80 to #60. They very in price depending on where you get them. Get the Rodger ones has there are knock offs which are not has good.
    The carbide bits are very sharp and drill well but very easy to break. These are to be used in a drill press they will not take any side pressure. The problem we modelers have when using a pin vise is we turn the bit to slow and feed to fast. The smaller the bit the faster it need to be turned.
    I am saying turn the bit 10 to 20 K and let the drill do the work. Feed very slow and be very careful when the bit breaks through the part you are drilling. Most of the time when you breakthrough the part you jerk and put side pressure on the bit and it breaks.
    I also use a small amount of oil on the bit, and I do mean a small amount. I put a drop of oil onto a piece of masking tape and just roll the bit into the oil drop, you have to oil often but with just a bit of oil they drill much better. I work with a lot of white metal castings and found this works well.