visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

The Main Street Hotel #206 - in O Scale. Karl.A

1235»

Comments

• Truly another wonderful piece of modeling and presentation.....Rick
  • edited February 2021
    Thanks Kevin and Rick, much appreciated,

while I was looking at the pics for flaws I just noticed this, something I always used to do on my builds and had forgotten about...
  • Great touch! Turned out GREAT! Love all the detail work.
  • I think you got it.....it looks just cluttered enough in all the right places....the chimneys do look "right".......very nice....
  • Karl, I really like the Sierra West sign. It's a nice touch and your signature on the build. Nice!! Phil
  • We’re not worthy! Thank you for posting!
  • Karl, Looks good Have one question? ....... what is on the front lower part of the Clock face gas pump.
  • edited February 2021
    Thanks Tom, Art, Phil, Alan and Craig, glad you like it.

Craig, I'm guessing you are talking about this handle?
    This is a 1930's pump, the same as the one I used on BlueSky. On BlueSky I decided it would have a power feed, so an internal electric pump for the gas.

For this one, to make it different, and to show an older more backwoods situation I gave it the hand crank. The hand crank was used to pump the gas in situations where electricity wasn't hooked up.

The kit can be built either way, this was prototypical for this style of pump in the 20s/30's, I did it both ways for variation between the two scenes/models.

155a
  • Karl, Your talking to a gas pump nut !!!!! This is not prototypical .... on a tall 10 or 5 gallon visible pump they have a handle that goes back and forth that works there mechanism.... the mechanism is a different animal on clock face pumps. that kind of pump came after visible pumps and have a electric motor and a belt that runs a pump that delivers gas and there should be a visi guage on the top left so you can see the gas flowing as the pump is working...... How do I know I have owned and sold plenty of early gas pumps at one time I had 3 early clockface pumps.
  • edited February 2021
    CraigH said:

Karl, Your talking to a gas pump nut !!!!! This is not prototypical .... on a tall 10 or 5 gallon visible pump they have a handle that goes back and forth that works there mechanism.... the mechanism is a different animal on clock face pumps. that kind of pump came after visible pumps and have a electric motor and a belt that runs a pump that delivers gas and there should be a visi guage on the top left so you can see the gas flowing as the pump is working...... How do I know I have owned and sold plenty of early gas pumps at one time I had 3 early clockface pumps.

Interior pic of a vintage clock face gas pump with the cover removed to show how the hand pump is attached.
    gas hand pump

Diagram from the kit - item 12
    gas hand pump 2

Best I can tell it's based on an old Erie pump, but, I just followed the instructions, never looked into it too deep.

gas hand pump 3
    gas hand pump 4
  • Karl, I found out there was a hand pump option on early clockface pumps. I called a friend that has a HUGE gas pump collection in Michigan and he has one in his collection....I myself have never seen one or heard of this option. The picture of the gas pump with the Yellow Chevelle is a friend that I bought exactly this pump in the picture from Him its a Bennett..... Wow small world.