visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Mike Engler's first and last HO layout (or: A SWSM Extravaganza- Fourteen Years of Brett's Kits)

Comments

• So much fun to read along and reminisce. Lots of wonderful folks have been along for the journey over the years and I miss seeing everyone at shows. Hopefully we will be back at them next year. Roger is such a character...
  • Great work. Love watching it all come together as one huge diorama
  • Sorry I've taken a few days off but I've been busy. Four days ago we found out the puppy we hoped to get was ready if I got to Omaha the next day. So I got a flight from Minneapolis to Omaha and back that was door-to-door about five hours including drive-to-airport, parking, security, etc. First class both ways. It helps when one of my favorite sons works for Delta and I can fly for free space available. I came home with this little guy, a ten week old Havaton- a mix of a Havanese and a Coton de Lear- Italy by way of Madagascar. We are delighted. Rocco will weigh about 12 lbs when he grows up.

IMG_0719

Rocco Razzles 600

So after a training break and preparing the many castings for the brass and iron foundry (I will post how I went about that tomorrow in my "Son of Brass and Iron Foundry" thread)
    we will continue the saga of the layout and transition to Module 2.

• Here is a shot of the diorama as it looked in Kansas City in 2014. It is 2.5 x 6 ft and it is Module 2.

IMG_0543 copy

• Super cute pup. I'm sure he won't eat any of your castings.
  • brownbr said:

Super cute pup. I'm sure he won't eat any of your castings.

I could say a lot of things with that but I won't its family here!!

Jerry

• The photo above is really the transition from the log pond of Module 1 to Module 2.
  • This is the full view of Module 2 as it appeared in the contest room of the 2014 NNGC in Kansas City. The diorama was voted Best of Show at that convention.

It is made up of the following SWSM diorama kits: the Loco and Service Shops; Logging Camp Main Street; Logging Camp Essentials; Railroad Camp; the Donkey Repair Yard; Tool Shed; and Lineside Shed. The Wood Cutters Shack was originally on this module but when it became partof the railroad it was moved to Module 3. In it’s place on Module 2 there is some trackwork for the HOn30 line that serves the Sawmill in Module 1.

Full view of diorama as displayed in contest room

Next are three shots of the Railroad Camp Diorama on the lower right of Module 2 as you would face it on the layout. The first couple show the ETinBH Boiler Shop memorializing the late, great Elliott Moore. The ET in BH was his signature on the original RRLine forum.

I was a close friend of my mentor Elliott and was with he and his daughter on a last little road trip to the ocean for sight seeing, lunch and a little wine the day before he passed on after a long illness. He was the lead builder for several of Brett's kits and he constructed many many award winning models. His work is also on the Gallery pages on this forum. I see a passing zephyr has tipped over a smokestack on his shop.

The third features Osolinski Supply named forr Karl Osolinski, a friend who is one of the very best model builders anywhere.

RR CAMP 1 800

RR Camp Boiler Shop

Osolinski Supply 800

Last one for today is the Donkey Repair Yard. Sorry for the lack of depth of field.

IMG_0807

• That is one impressive diorama! SW kits make into a great scene, and your outstanding work and structure placement really makes it great! Also like the stories that go along with each structure and module.
  • Mike, your first picture has always been one of my favorites. I'm sure folks were completely blown away when they saw Module 2 and I'm sure it was an easy choice for the judges for best in show. Impressive!! Phil
  • After all these years Mike you're still one of the really great modelers.
    Did you get my email?

Jerry
  • Thanks fellows and Jerry yes I did and I just replied. I got over 100 today which is good as my company has a little promotion going. I'm out of here for a couple of days and I am going to post progress on Son of Brass and Iron Foundry. Also all I know about castings' prep and decorating and who my teachers were.
  • Awesome builds.
  • Very impressive diorama. By now, I know what time and work goes in one build, so this in an enormous achievement. Beautiful.
  • Thank all of you for the very kind words. And Ed, the mere fact that I may have brightened someone's day is high praise indeed!

Here are some more photos of the elements of Camp Chambers- Module 2 of the Runner City & Western layout. I'll for the most part go right to left on the Module:

Behind the Donkey Repair Yard are the Tool Shed and the Rigging Shed. The Tool Shed was a separate kit from 2008 and the Rigging Shed was included in the Donkey Repair Yard kit (I think).

Two sheds

Next one is in first row of the diorama, part of Railroad Camp kit. I named it The Karl Scholz Truck Repair- Karl was my first mentor on RRLine, and I was referred to him by George Sellios of FSM. George liked some photos of my builds and said I should contact Karl and get them posted.

Then Karl introduced me on line and by phone to Elliott Moore. They both became good friends. Between the two of them they spent a couple of hours on the phone trying to teach me how to post photos on the WW II technology of the RRLine forum. Once they finally did we had a lot of fun for years on that online time-robber that did teach me a lot of skills and introduce me to a lot off good friends. The K. Scholz Truck Repair:

K. Scholz Truck Repair

Here are a few of the Loco Shop. First is the original diorama I built before it was "dropped" into the layout, as were all of the other elements.

Loco Repair

Loco Shop

IMG_4463

C ya later.
  • What a great diorama. I'd be scared to death of dropping it while moving it.
  • Wonderful Mike. And yes the RR line still has that outdated photo loading system!

Jerry
  • Ed, I won't. I've been warned.

Bryan- Thanks. If dropped it is insured for lots. If you guys haven't insured your models, get on the phone. I have had for years a Collectibles policy that covers all my models for water damage, theft, broken while moving, etc. for well under $100 per year. I had to get an appraisal from one of the kit brokers and an estate seller through eBay etc. I have to provide value estimates by diorama and the total $ amount is in excess of $30 k.

Jerry, I'm sure it is. Years ago when I complained to the guy who started that forum he said it was an investment then with no return and it is not likely he is going to spend more money to upgrade any software. I came to know him through the internet and he is a nice guy. Can't blame him for not throwing good money after bad.

Here are the last few of Camp Chambers and Module 2. In the last one you can see the transition to Module 3- that is the Duluth Co. on the far left.

IMG_0807

Well so much for that. The forum gods must have been listening. Now I can't post photos. I'll have to go figure it out. I'm guessing it is user error by a low-tech user.

• i just dropped in.

i've been in awe of mike's modeling for a long time. i still am.
  • edited October 2020
    I had to get an appraisal from one of the kit brokers

mike, how did you go about that? did he appraise from pictures or did you have to physically take them to him?

the more i look at it the more it looks like a movie set. outstanding.
  • Still can't seem to post more photos. Maybe I reached my limit for October. I may need the forum's trouble shooter to walk me through it like Apple does.

Kevin (or also others) message me or email me at mike.engler59@gmail.com and I'll brief you on the collectibles coverage.

Too nice to model this pm so Rocco and I are headed for a walk. Looks like summer in Minnesota will be this weekend so we are having a picnic tomorrow.

Looks like I have solved photos at least for today.

IMG_0831
  • Mike, make sure they are .jpg, not .jpeg - call me and we can sort it out...
  • Mike, have long admired your modeling prowess, especially the loco shop. Best of luck as you conquer O scale. Cheers, George.
  • Outstanding!!!!
  • Thanks George and Craig. This getting bumped up reminds me that I should finish this tale. I actually spent some time last week on some details that help link the seven modules together. Module 1 is the 3x3.5 ft. Twin Mills. Module 2 is the largest one at 2.5x6 ft. that combines eight SWSM kits and I call it Camp Chambers.

They are connected by Module 3 (there is a diagram on p.1) and Module 3 was designed to give some distance and space to the layout and the only structures are the Duluth Co. and the Woodcutter's Shack. There are three small river bed crossings so I'm building some bridges.

My grandson Calvin is helping me (and loves it) and all three are variations of a Hunterline King Post kit which we built last weekend. A few photos will tell the story. I'll then tell you my tracklaying strategy and methodology. Yes that is some Code 70 HO Snap Track over the HOn30 Crazy Track in the 3rd photo

IMG_0340

IMG_2176 2

IMG_2311

IMG_2313
  • Much detailing needs to be done on this Module 3. Track needs rails painted, ballasting finished, seams covered up, etc. The seams between modules will get a piece of masking tape over them and then ground cover applied to hide them. The first photo shows the seam between Modules 2 and 3; the second shows that each structure/diorama was "dropped" into a hole cut into the homasote base of the modules and all are easily removable. Again the seams will be taped and covered with scenic materials. Also there will be a significant amount of blending the photograph backdrops to the layout.

Transition to Mod 3

IMG_5492

• This is the first bridge being built as I was supervising while Calvin did the heavy lifting.

IMG_2294

IMG_2316

IMG_2319

• Mike.
    That is a great picture of you and your Grandson be careful you may be out of a job.....Carl........
  • Time to plant the bridge in place. It is at the joining edges of the sawmill and Module 3 (you can see Duluth Co. in upper right of photo one below, and on the right side of the second photo a little bit of Railroad Camp on upper-right and the mill log pond below.

Left to do are ballasting, a retaining wall under the bridge, a little plaster and scenery blending, and track detailing. But that will be later; I'm back working on the O scale Logging and Tractor Repair Shed.

IMG_2342

IMG_2343

• Fantastic modelling. Very much enjoyed reading your posts.

Malcolm