visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Boiler & Welding Shop

Comments

• engine909 said:

ALCO, I look forward to what you decide. The fact remains you have done done outstanding modeling.

Uh, thank you, I think, but this is Mountaingoat’s project.
  • You’ll never miss those verticals. Looks great.
  • I vote also it looks better without the verticals
  • The walls do look much better without the vertical siding. I built this kit a long time ago and couldn't understand the purpose of the vertical boards. I did leave them on though. I think they would have made more sense if they were "cut" into the siding as to repair damage.

You might try lightly wire brushing the places where the vertical lines show. This might blend things in a little better. Do it lightly though and assess the look.

The building is coming along nicely, and the shingles look great! Also "soot" up the brick and furnace door so it doesn't look so "clean".
  • Thanks guys. I did hit the boards with steel wool, but no effect there. A bit hard to do the wire brush without damaging the window and door frames. I'll work on it a bit more.

Tom, I just started the furnace. Lots to do all the way around.

Ed, you are forgiven for the oversight. It was late last night.

I hand laid the track just because that is all I have done for 40 years. However, it will probably all get buried in the dirt when I get that far....Rick

Track
  • Indeed it is.
  • Done well Rick it is indeed.!!!!!!!Carl
  • would back woods logging have 4 spikes per tie as well? i'm doing hand laid track for the first time... Yours looks really nice. One can tell you have a bit of experience :smile:
  • I don't think you can cheat the 4 spikes per tie. Standard railroads use fish plates and up to 8 spikes per tie. For reference, the spikes I use are Micro Engineering micro spikes. They are tiny and not easy to install. I would recommend their small spikes for someone less experienced. Those you can cut the heads down in size with wire cutters if you have the patience to look better. Look at my office/warehouse build. Those were small not micro spikes.....Rick
  • You are right to use 4 spikes per tie. You can't cut corners here on a diorama. You spend so much time making everything look as good as possible, it's my opinion that the same should go for the track. Kudos.
  • Thanks for all the compliments.

Alex, just go for it like anything else in the hobby. It is a skill that can be easily mastered with practice. Bryan is correct, don't skimp on the trackwork after all the other effort you put into the scene. I have seen where you are headed and you are definitely on a great path.

I also want to thank Carl for great dirt to use on my dioramas. He shipped me a care package that was greatly appreciated.

Here is a quick look at the first step towards that end. Obviously need hinges, the crane and lots of details.

IMG_0632[6816]
  • yeah, i just don't know what railroads usually did. I know nearly nothing about railroads :blush:. i'm trying to find some good reference photos.

it's amazing how how your scene is coming along. Especially knowing how tiny everything is!
  • You have found another fun part of modeling, learning about your subject. You will enjoy the process that never ends...Rick
  • Rick, the weathering looks great
  • Rick that track work looks really good! Just the right amount of coverage over the ties with some showing through...well done.
  • Well I finally got near the end. Always more that can be done. I enjoyed taking each of the three buildings in the Railroad Camp separately. They will probably be placed apart on my eventual layout.
    Let me know if you see anything needing attention. Some of you have true eagle eyes. Otherwise it is time to shelve this one and start the next.

IMG_0701
    IMG_0697
    IMG_0688
    IMG_0696
    IMG_0687
    IMG_0689
    IMG_0690
    IMG_0692
    IMG_0693
    IMG_0695
    IMG_0700
  • Looks outstanding
  • Wonderful work Rick. love the weathering on your roof. Everything blends well and your scenes are very well done. Glaring problem though!...red flag on the mailbox? Come on Rick, what the heck. Lol...
  • Lots of great weathering - walls, roof, everywhere. Attention to detail - under the wall vent and under the stovepipe. Good stuff!
  • Sorry Ken, but the kids broke the flag off the mailbox and management hasn't fixed it yet......It wasn't part of the casting and I admit to being a bit lazy to make one for it. I guess you are going to make me do it....lol

Rick
  • engine909 said:

Only a fool would question the great modeling that you have done. Walls are excellent. Shingles are excellent. All extremely well done. Okay here we go, I am not a fan of the added dark boards. Fellow modelers are asked to agree, or if it's ed, you are as wrong as cheez wiz on a Philly Steak. Which I don't eat by the way.

try cheez wiz with bugles. my wife says its a delicacy.....
    personally, i hate it.

• me too..... :)
  • A fine job. I always admired that crane.
  • I appreciate all the positive feedback. However, Ken called me out about the flag on the mailbox so I added it. Here you go Ken...

Rick
    IMG_0702
  • There ya go, bending to the peer pressure! Looks great...and of course you know I was poking at you by finding something so minuscule amid all that wonderful modeling...
  • Thanks Ken. I'll take all the minuscule findings you want to give me. I did notice the flag at the time I did the mailbox, just justified not doing it for the wrong reasons (probably on the backside on the layout later). Keep em coming.

Rick
  • Rick.
    The flag is to big.
  • Thanks Carl. Not going to trim it. lol

Rick
  • Beautiful work...
  • OK The mail box is to small. .!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha