visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Railroad Camp Office/Warehouse

Comments

• I take so many photos and study them and still miss some things. Thanks for the eagle eye. Rick
  • Doors turned out really nice. coloring matches the siding well. Nice flooring too! It looks as though the window sill and apron are a bit short as well. It's tough getting those window parts to match up well.
  • I fixed the window sill...Thanks... and glued the walls together. Of course I accidentally glued the left warehouse wall upside down. I was able to peel the siding off back and reglue it to the front. Yes, I wasn't paying enough attention.

Playing with the positions I want the doors later. Still need more handles, hinges, weathering, etc.

Walls24
    Walls25

One thing I am planning to do slightly different from the original plan is to extend the dock past the right wall a bit and have stairs going down the back toward the double doors.

Time to starting putting all the subassemblies together on a foundation. This is when it gets fun. Rick
  • Really like the interior floor.
  • I didn't imply I never made mistakes. How many mistakes have we all made learning the techniques we use. What we really learn is how to overcome them. Rick
  • Open doors are always a winner!
  • Nice fix on the window. The floor really does enhance the whole thing. Add some details to the interior and it's a winner!
  • Lighting and interior details coming.
    Rick
  • I'm finally back with more. I did the diorama base, glued down the dock first as it sets the height for everything else. Worked the dirt around the legs before adding the deck boards and laid the track. Since I do standard gauge, that meant I had to lower the track base by 2/10" so a flat car or boxcar would match the dock height. Then I had to raise the warehouse by .040" to match the dock and the office by .100" so the doorway would match also. No matter how well we measure, we are never as precise as we would like to be, thus the adjustments.

Anyway, since I am leaving the doors open on the warehouse, I had to do an interior which included studs on the walls as well as the various crates and barrels. Adding studs to the interior after gluing the walls together was entertaining.

Finally lighting. So here are the results at this point. I should be about ready for details, roofs and scenery.

Lighting 8

Lighting 6
    Lighting 7
  • Absolutely fantastic! So incredibly well modeled.
  • Nice job on the interior.

Colors on the drums looks very fresh. Can they be toned down?
  • I'm open to suggestions. My current thinking is if it is in the warehouse, they are new thus the fresh paint. There will be older barrels around the outside with differing stages of abuse by the elements. Rick
  • I agree with your thinking Goat. Not everything needs to be rusted, broken, split, at the same level. Super fine work!!!!!
  • Great little interior. Very convincing. The colouring on the exterior boards is also particularly good. Great build so far
  • I second Roberts answer, and I can add that this is a fantastic build.
  • Indeed, a very well executed build. Bravo .. The lightning really does it.
  • Knowing the quality of modeling by all of you posting, your comments are quite flattering. Thank you very much.

I am considering doing the office roof in real cedar shingles.

I'm thinking the tar paper shed is abandoned and having the roof starting to cave in.

Thoughts everyone?

Rick
  • I'd like to see a caving in roof. Sounds like a fun challenge.
  • Lighting really adds a lot to the dio. Interior shots are great. Maybe add a sign or 2 to the interior walls that show through the doors to add more interest. A simple addition that brings more interest. They can be safety signs or perhaps advertising appropriate to the scene. Or perhaps some sort of shelf to the interior wall. Otherwise it looks great!
  • Great job on lining everything up. You've got a great scene there and very believable. I love your lighting. As for the drums, it never hurts to hit them will just a little brown caulk to tone down the brightness of fresh paint. You don't have to overdo it, but dull the color a bit. Don't use alcohol, just take a brush, dab it in the caulk, and stipple the caulk onto the barrel. If you get too much, just brush it off. I hope this helps. Phil
  • After I get done painting Brett's castings, such as his shelves full of junk, I always brush on some light grey of brown chalk to take the brightness out of the casting.
  • I think my shed has seen better days. This is kinda the look I'm going for. After the warehouse was built, they abandoned the shed.

Tar roof

Still scenery and details to come, but wanted your opinions on the roof.
  • I like where you are going with this.
  • I would-be add some lichen, moss, spots from bird poo, perhaps some dry leaves if there is a tree closeby. That will make it even more interesting. But I love it allready as it is now. Great work. It looks natural.
  • Those of you that model in HO always amaze me.....I gave up that scale years ago as my eyes got to small and fingers too big....Outstanding work here....
  • looks really really nice. great looking model. i agree with muddy, i struggle to see o scale. that's amazing to me.
  • I did the office roof with real cedar shingles. I finished the warehouse roof which is in much better shape than the shed. The story here will be the office originally was one story with the shed. Things progressed so they built the second story and the warehouse. The shed isn't needed anymore thus no repairs.

I am modeling an area more dry than most so no moss or lichen growing here. When I get to the rest of the roof details, I will probably add a few bird droppings along the roof peak and a couple pigeons. I still have porch roofs, details, scenery, etc. to go.

Roof 2
    Roof 3

Then in the process of starting to paint details, I knocked over an almost full bottle of Floquil paint down my front and lap. Luckily none on the model. Can't say that lucky with the shirt and pants though. I now have a green stomach.....Time to quit for today.

Rick
  • The shingles are very well done. Nice work !
  • The addition of interior detail and lighting has taken this kit to a new lever, not seen before, by this Forum follower. Question about tarpaper shed. Did you build it with horizonal board beneath the tarpaper. I like the roof.
  • looks really great. i really like the vent you added to the window on the left. when i built this i guess assumed the second floor was a residence, and never would have thought about adding a vent like that. in hindsight i wish i had.