visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Dueling Shacks - 1st attempt

2»

Comments

• edited February 2020
    MUST be enamel, acrylic will rub/wash off. MUST allow primer to cure, not just dry...

Use the spray can paint or equivalent recommended in the manual.
  • Your walls/windows look awesome!
  • looks great Tom. Nice old weathered wood.
  • Before I begin I would like to give a big THANKS to Ken for his tips on the resin casting.

As they say in Show Biz … On with the show..

Base coat - Testors Flat Black
    Vallejo - Flat Red
    Americana - Victorian Blue
    Rust - Gold Ochre - 236.7
    DSCN4916
    DSCN4917

Just when I was going to show the top of the drum my battery died .. go figure.

Comments..

Thanks
    TomK
  • that's a great looking drum. nice.
  • Looks great Tom. Weathering is very nice. Get a shot of the top when you can. I assume that barrel is stuck to the stick and not with a hole drilled in it? :)...Ken
  • It's convincing.
  • Front/rear wall are done. Still way to much fuzzies.

First big winter snow is on the way.

DSCN4933
    DSCN4934
  • The graining of the wood is very good. Remember that the photos always blow up the imperfections which we barely see with the naked eye. Nice progress. I presume you'll work further on the weathering of the hinges ?
  • Robert,

Suggestion for the hinges?

Thanks
  • Hey Tom, first I would make some tiny holes with a needle or similar pointy device to indicate where screws go through the hinge into the door. Then, I'd go darker on the rust. Either with chalks mixed with a little diluted mat varnish or else with a dark rust wash from Valejo ( or similar) , dark Crusted ( Valejo ) rust gives a nice effect aswel

On this build thread of my Woodcutters Shack, you can see lots of rusted objects.
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/901/variations-on-a-theme-the-woodcutters/p1

But there are plenty of good examples on this forum. Just browse through the builds.

You're doing just fine . :wink:
  • I applied some Burnt Sienna to the hinges to tone it down.DSCN4934
    DSCN4935

Robert - Thanks for the tip on rust.
  • Finished the 4 large barrels.DSCN4918
    DSCN4919

DSCN4920
    DSCN4921

DSCN4922
    DSCN4923

DSCN4925
    DSCN4926
  • Hinges are way better and the barrels are very well done !!! They've been lying outside for ages so to see...
  • Love the yellow barrel, nicely done Tom. May consider an AI wash or something similar on the doors just to give them a slight contrast to The siding. Nice progress
  • Ken,

I gave the door some AI wash and does make a difference. Will try to post a picture later.

What type of glue should I use for attaching the tarpaper to the chipboard sheet?

Thanks
  • Good old Elmers White Glue is what I would use as it dries nice and clear if you miss any small spots where it squishes out. Yeah, I thought a little contrast would look good, same with the panels on the 6-panel door?
  • I like the rust accumulation on the tops of the barrels.