visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

pretty amazing

it occurred to me as i'm waiting to get blue sky, that when you think about the sierra west operation, it's one guy doing everything. research for kits, designing, building the pilot model, creating the construction manual and the casting package and the castings themselves, for each kit, and now 3d printing details, then selling them and hand packing all those hundreds of parts, it's pretty amazing he has time to poop, much less have a life of any kind.
dude, whatever it is, please share.... :)

Comments

• edited August 2021
    And now I see he’s offering hand painted 3D details….what’s next, pre-grained strip wood???
    Terry
  • Thanks Kev, it is a passion... Two words... adult diapers. holy crap no, just kidding. I truly love what I do and feel extraordinarily lucky to have made a career out of this stuff for over 25 years. Cannot believe it! Couldn't have done it without all of you! I am so grateful, Thank You!

Terry, uhmmmm no on the stripwood! Hah! We shall see where the hand-painted details go. Sold the first two sets in about 2 minutes so...
  • admin said:

Thanks Kev, it is a passion... Two words... adult diapers. holy crap no, just kidding. I truly love what I do and feel extraordinarily lucky to have made a career out of this stuff for over 25 years. Cannot believe it! Couldn't have done it without all of you! I am so grateful, Thank You!

Terry, uhmmmm no on the stripwood! Hah! We shall see where the hand-painted details go. Sold the first two sets in about 2 minutes so...

you could hire a detail painter to take it off your desk....
    just sayin'....

• Hah Kev, last time I "hired" an employee he arrived reeking of pot three days in a row - his job was to stand over a pot of 1000 degree metal and cast. Sent him home day one and two and told him if he arrived day three stoned you're fired... That was that, about 15 years ago. Solo from there. Lessoned learned.
  • I have this mental picture of Tommy Chong rolling out of a beat up van in Bretts' driveway.
  • edited August 2021
    HAVE YOU EVER TRIED HIRED SOMEBODY... BET NOT. OMG- I have so many stories to tell about "EMPOLYEES"... gonna step down now.
  • SierraWest is the finest kit manufacturer there is. Just no question. I totally understand Brett’s position when it comes to hiring. This industry is personal, it’s your heart and soul on the line. Your own art, words and advice out there for all to see. And folks pay a premium price for it it, so you produce the best by giving your best — and in this world, you often only get that by doing the job yourself. Anyone that threatens that just has to go.

And one bad experience is enough to close the door.
  • You are so correct.... but believe me, not just one bad experience.
  • admin said:

You are so correct.... but believe me, not just one bad experience.

Sometimes I wish I lived in Texas…

• As a friend just this weekend said
    "It's not what it is. It's what goes into the product. People can tell when there is quality and pride on something."

good stuff there...
  • admin said:

HAVE YOU EVER TRIED HIRED SOMEBODY... BET NOT. OMG- I have so many stories to tell about "EMPOLYEES"... gonna step down now

I better not!! I'll let it go as what BRETT SAID!

Jerry

• My last employee made a mistake that caused a $250,000 hazmat spill 7 days after my liability insurance expired my agent forgot to inform me of. Guess who paid the price.
  • Holy crapola!
  • Holy Crap !!! No I never had to hire anybody I worked for Chrysler for 34 years and retired at 53 years old and get a nice pension and Healthcare.
  • I am so happy now that I'm retired not having to deal with all the bs. did that for over 50 years.
    But would be happy to work for Brett on all the upcoming projects :smiley: