visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Building the sawmill equipment

As I start building the CHB sawmill equipment there is a lot of brass rod to cut to length. Can I get some suggestions on what cutting equipment the members of this forum use. I have a Proxxon KGS 80. Mini chop saw for hobby use. Thanking in advance
Mike

Comments

• Mike, I use a Dremmel. Your chop saw may be a better alternative.
  • I used wire cutters and filed to proper length. Was a pain.
  • edited June 2020
    I used wire cutters for the thinner stuff, then filed as needed.
    For tubes and larger dimensions I used a razor saw. and again filed to fit.
    Built the saw mill twice, the machinery set once and the steam engine and boiler three times.
    Never had any problems with any of them, always a quick and easy way to cut the brass.
  • Another option would be a jewelers saw. Or, for solid round rod you can use a pair of track cutters. brass is quite soft.

kind of like karl, i'll use a #11 stainless steel (i buy stainless blades due to the hardness of stainless, i think it's worth the extra money) xacto to cut round tube, roll the tube back and forth under the knife and it will score the tube without crushing it. you can then clean the ends up with some sand paper and ream it out with a drill bit to knock off the rolled edges.

if you use the method above, i advice putting the piece to be cut under a piece of paper towel as it will come off with some force, and will need something to "Capture" it.

The above method is what i used to cut the stainless steel tubing for my lighting on my woodcutter shack. that was .025 diameter stainless steel tubing.