visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O Scale Foundry....

Comments

• Working on the repair shop walls.....not having the best luck with the second stencil....more bleed thru than I would like.....going to give it another try later....with the storms it's been a busy day...no time in the shop yet....
  • Do you have a stippling brush? Very handy for this sort of thing.
  • Let me know if you would like another stencil.
  • That's what I used on the Blacksmith stencil...and it came out good...not so much first try on the other stencil....I have an idea....going to try that right now....
  • Stencils came out great. All looks wonderful. Rick
  • Thanks Brett...I got it figured out. I used to do custom paint work on cars back in the 70's and 80's and had used temporary adhesives to hold stuff in place to paint. So what I did...was spray just a little on the back of the stencil...and it adhered tight enough to allow me to do a few light passes with a matte white rattle can...the adhesive came off clean enough with just a little clean-up with steel wool....it also took a bit of the black paint....but I like the effect it left.....I like the way it came out. Going to soften it up some more in the final weathering I think. The walls again are only lightly weathered with some chalk.....final weathering later...The look I going for on this is a building newer than the Pattern Shop....so I want more paint...but a decent amount of wear....but maintained.....going to do a taped together mock-up tomorrow to get a size idea and basic layout configuration.....
  • Stencil work came out great. I see yours advertises hoist engines also...can't wait for kit 313 with all of the hoist engines!
  • Looks great! Nice crisp lettering. Just a suggestion but if you take a tiny brush with white paint you can erase the stencil lines like on the "O" the "D" the A's and the "P"s.
  • Thanks Bryan.....I am now thinking of a whole complex in the area that I have set aside for O'Neills and the Foundry...The diorama I have in the works is going to include the Tractor repair and also the truck repair...and will be part of the whole logging scene that also includes the Sawmill and a small engine facility all on a peninsula module on the layout.....I need to get busy....lol Thanks Joel...I just did a little work on that sign...and it does still need some cleanup....
  • Sounds like a great plan. Do you have it sketched out?
  • Only in my mind.....I need to eventually....
  • I just caught up on your build. Great work! Especially with the stencils. I like the tip and may use it in the future. I received my kit a few weeks but I'm trying to finish all the projects I have started first so following this build is a great way to enjoy the new kit while I get caught up. Thanks for all the pictures.
  • Just a word on how I did the stencil. I had not quite the results that I wanted with the stippling brush...it worked great on the large Blacksmith stencil....but I think the more fragile smaller separations in the foundry stencil did not hold up that well for me...heavy hand I guess...…(I"m a a firefighter....I tend to smash stuff)…..that being said. I placed the stencil backside up...and sprayed on a light coat of 3M medium strength adhesive. I let it tack up for 10 minutes....then placed it obviously adhesive side down onto the wall and lightly pressed it flat. I then braced it standing upright at 90 degrees. I then immediately used a rattle can of Krylon flat white primer and made a few light passes...allowing the paint to flash (semi dry) for about 20 seconds....until I had surface coverage of the open spaces of the stencil. Don't over do it....less is more in this case. Once you're happy with the coverage....lay it flat to dry. after about 15 minutes....carefully pull up and edge and check your coverage. If it's good.....remove the stencil.....slowly....if you want more paint...just lay it back in place and hit it again....just don't put on too much paint....it will run. Allow it to dry at least 1 few hours before you try to weather it. I used a couple of light passes with 000 steel wool to take down the edges of the letters. Than a s Joel has pointed out....use a fine brush to fill in the stencil lines.....any adhesive that stays behind....you can remove with a #11blade. I had a nice effect with the adhesive removing just a little of the black background....
  • Thank you for taking the time to detail the stencil application. I've had trouble in the past with stencils moving and keeping sharp lines. I'm going to try your technique on my next project.
  • edited April 2020
    Totally my pleasure.....To practice....get some cheap stencils from Staples....most are still open by me....That way you can play with the technique and not ruin Brett's handiwork.....or your own....
  • Thanks for the explanation. I haven't had to deal with stenciling yet. Phil
  • I will also have to keep this in mind when I need to use a stencil again.
  • Thanks for the tutorial. This will be my first stencil.
  • Brett's method works fine.....it just didn't for me on the finer stencil. Try the method you feel comfortable with....I suggest that you try them both on a test stencil....it was probably my technique that didn't work for me on the finer stencil.
  • Busy in the shop on the tempering shed....once that is done....I'm going to do a quick mock-up of the 3 structures to get some measurements for the site on the layout....not gluing them together as that's not called for in the instruction manual yet. Have done some minimal weathering...but will wait till I have all of the structures and details together to blend it all together.... will need to wait till Installment 2 comes out. Till then it's going to be back to my diorama....Keep an eye out for that thread.....probably by Saturday afternoon....
  • The waiting is always the hardest part... :wink:
  • It will be tough waiting
  • Trust me I have plenty to keep me busy......my diorama.....O'Neill's.....and that ever present Sawmill it that big box that's pretty far along....plus about 30 other kits sitting on the shelves.... but the diorama will be worked on just in case the National Narrow Gauge happens....
  • Got all of the construction done....going to do a little more weathering and touch up before I take some photos....as much as I want to assemble the walls....I know I shouldn't....as there is a method to Brett's madness....I am really pleased with the way things are turning out....maybe some photos later...
  • Madness, yeah for sure! Diligently working on part two this quarantine weekend...

Fantastic work, so much to enjoy. Love all the texture and detail. Some incredible modeling as always. Looking forward to more!
  • Ok...here's some photos of the tempering shed....and a mock up of the structures up to this point. I have yet to do some touch-ups of the foundry stenciling...and I seem to have a few loose shingles....again I am sorry for the quality of the photos /lighting. I just ordered a photographic lighting ensemble to help with photo lighting...that should help....