visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Brown AI solution

edited May 2015 in Working with Wood
Tried using Higgins brown ink/alcohol and don't like the results, looks kinda reddish, I saw a post mentioning transparent inks, anybody have a specific recommendation? I'm looking for something warmer and browner than the black AI produces.
Stan

Comments

• edited May 2015
    Look into using a couple drops of burnt umber liquid pigment with 2 oz of alcohol.

Marty
  • for wood i use (almost exclusively) transparent water soluble sepia ink. Key is that it is water soluble and transparent… and sepia. I can find the bottle - but it's one of the normal ink manufacturers but you won't find it at the Michaels and such. I mix it about 1:20 sepia to rubbing alcohol - haven't noticed a difference between say 70% and 99%. But the higher the water ratio, the more important the water solubility is. That's what I've read but don't really know. The key is sepia transparent ink - easy and looks great!
  • Thanks James, it would be great if you could post the brand or a pic of the bottle,
    Thanks!
    for wood i use (almost exclusively) transparent water soluble sepia ink. Key is that it is water soluble and transparent… and sepia. I can find the bottle - but it's one of the normal ink manufacturers but you won't find it at the Michaels and such. I mix it about 1:20 sepia to rubbing alcohol - haven't noticed a difference between say 70% and 99%. But the higher the water ratio, the more important the water solubility is. That's what I've read but don't really know. The key is sepia transparent ink - easy and looks great!
  • cool, so the pigment mixes well with a typical A/I solution? You using the Woodland scenics pigment?
    Look into using a couple drops of burnt umber liquid pigment with 2 oz of alcohol.

Marty
  • certainly - I'll find it…
  • I use Smooth-on's So-strong casting pigments. I suspect any water based pigment would do. Sone say dyes also work

Marty
  • sorry meant to post this earlier - this is the sepia ink i use for wood soaks - about 1:20 with rubbing alcohol.

• oops- now with picture…