visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Worldwide Miniatures

Comments

• Hi Mario,

Putting together this video was very thoughtful of you. Thanks very much.
  • Over many years in my travels, it's been a privilege to meet so many modellers and allowing me to photograph their work. With their permission I have been able to share, to a future generation of would be modeller's thru my humble web site and now " pics in motion "... Each day I still find little details in the photos which i incorporate into my own projects......" it's never enough " when it cums to detailing..... "Stay motivated in Life "... and again thanks....http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_railroad_miniatures.html
  • Lots of inspiring things to be found here. Thanks for sharing.
  • Great, great stuff Mario. So nice to see someone taking the time to document these great works. Putting the clips together in a video with tasteful background music gives a whole different perspective to a diorama and/or layout. Thanks for posting here...off for more coffee...
  • cheers guys
  • THE ABSOLUTE MASTER in diorama building. Could see this al day long..
  • edited February 2019
    Modvid Worldwide Miniatures ( Master Modellers )
    http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_railroad_miniatures.html
    is now available on the BIG screen. Watch on your Smart TV or mobile phone via You Tube.
  • edited February 2019
    Photos will be available as slide shows and over the next few years I'll try to upload a few hundred inspiring videos .
  • edited February 2019

• The photography in this video Mario is just fantastic. I really like the close up eye level shots. And Geoff's modeling is just fantastic. I like the use of the LP to tell the different stories throughout the diorama.
  • Just like Steven says, just fantastic. And the movie music score, Thomas Bergersen kind of music that goes along with it , makes it even more spectacular.
    Thanks.
  • Thanks guys for the feedback.... I created a lot of videos last week and many without music.....my background as a musician, stage & theatre, helps me decide what to use and when....my favourite overall presentation is the still the " Brian Nolan " vid....it's a great hobby when we all , on this forum, can combine many facets & skills...maybe that's why Sierra West Modellers win so many contests... it's all about " Presentation "....
  • HOW DO YOU GUYS GET THAT WHITe FADED EFFECT on cladding.... I see it on most SW builds...
  • Mario said:

HOW DO YOU GUYS GET THAT WHITe FADED EFFECT on cladding.... I see it on most SW builds...

There are several techniques I outline extensively in my manuals for creating the peeling paint. While the methods and materials have evolved over the years the results have been fantastic!
  • Mario,

That looks like the end wall of my sawmill. There are different ways to get the same effect. I will describe the one I used for these walls.

After coloring the boards I used a fine celled sponge, not the ones you use in the kitchen. It is more like a car washing sponge. It is always soft even when dry. I cut the sponge into little squares (an inch or so). I then spilled an slightly off white craft paint on a glass surface and tapped the sponge into it. Now you blot the sponge on some paper taking most of the paint off. Then you tap the individual boards with the paint carrying sponge to get the effect you see. There is a little technique involved so a little practice will yield good results.

I do not remember if I black ink stained the boards before adding the white paint, after or both. Experiment, worst case is you only mess up a few boards learning the technique.
  • Sponge effect. Yes I have used that before, but you guys take the effect to another level with your builds...thanks for the feedback.....
  • As Brett and SierraWest have evolved over the decades, so have the techniques. Never standing still and always striving to improve, that's what keeps things interesting and always getting better.

Any of the kits/manuals will give you an award winning model, whether that kit was from 20years ago or 2 months ago, all of the techniques are tried, tested, and of course proven by the previous award winners.

Learn the techniques from the manuals and when mastered maybe add your own twist.
    Brett's kits are so much more than the norm... they are all a modeling education, from the best in the business.

Karl.A

• edited February 2019
    This is a terrific video Mario, it really showcases the intricacy and the accuracy of these SierraWest models. Your assembly and preparation of the parts is top notch and it also shows the absolute quality of the parts you are working with.
    It highlights the true essence of these incredible kits, the fact that you are not just painting a casting, but that the components are so precise that you are actually building the machine in miniature.

Time consuming yes, involved, most definitely, an education, it certainly was for me. But complicated it wasn't.
    The finished items look incredible, yet those amazingly detailed templates, diagrams and instructions you show simply make it a step by step process. That people stare in awe when they look at the finished model.

I still swear I could make some of the ones I've built actually run, they are just that good and precise.

Once again, a great video and you did a fantastic job of your models.

Karl.A
  • cheers mate......we share our projects for those future "would be " modellers....having personal photos of projects and not sharing to others is such a waste.. Thanks again for you'se all , uploading your projects. I lurk alot and not say much...I just admire..
  • This is terrific Mario!
  • CHEERS follow modellers
  • Hi Bill... Those blades you used on the sawmill are great... I purchased a few packs on ebay..so cheap... I dipped them into a blackener and left them outside to naturally rust....
  • edited February 2019
    current 1:24 project...........blades1
    blades2
    blades3
  • Lots of nice details in that scene
  • Aussie Modules
  • Seaport Village Australia. Incredible Treasure of Australian History.
    Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia.
    Detail Heaven for Miniature Makers
    Future SW kits & details...????

• Broken links
    Every so often I have noticed that the sub-links on Mario's wonderful Worldwide miniatures site seem broken. Pressing the amazing entry photos for other modelers don't result in a connection... just an error message. Over the past days this again seems to be occurring. Has anyone else noticed this, or was it the latest update to windows 10?
    It's always a relief to see the SierraWest site is stable.
    Bill