visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

A cheap-better paint thinner

edited October 2015 in Miscellaneous
I'm not sure if this video applies to anyone in this forum, or even if this is the right group to post it on.

When I was building a plaid box kit I tried using Rembrandt chalks to colour the surfaces with Yellow chalks. I found that when I used a chalk and straight alcohol the chalk mixture did not flow as I wished it would. In desperation I grabbed my Vallejo Airbrush Thinner and used it. I was surprised how well it worked. The Rembrandt chalks when mixed with the Airbrush Paint thinner seemed to flow like normal paint, but dried like chalk does. I was surprised how well it worked, then I remembered the price and the pain I had to go through to get some.

After some searching I found an artist who was making his own Airbrush paint thinner. I tried the formula myself and found it to be the same as the commercial brands. I was so excited about this being so good and CHEAP I could not resist making a Quick Tip video about it. Take a look at the video and give the technique a try.

I also, use this paint thinner for painting figures because the normal Vallejo paints are a bit too thick to retain details. It works there as well and has become a norm for painting objects.

Note, I do not use it when I am staining the strip wood and revert back to my "gunk" alcohol mix.

Comments