visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Suggested forum tweaks

Would like to see a link from the home page to the forum as well as a link on the forum page back to home.

Comments

• thanks mike - both links will be added as my time permits.
  • Is there a use for the blue box with attachment descriptions in it (looking at the thread on building my first SW kit in O scale builds)? The pictures appear inline in the posting and the attachments section doesn't seem to link to anything, hence appears redundant. Could it be set up to link to the original full image (properties on the pictures indicate they've been shrunk).
  • edited May 2011
    Mike,

the pictures shown in Bills thread to which you are referring are shown at their actual size as posted by Bill.
    Clicking on the filenames in the blue box will allow you to open them in your own graphics program if needed.

The pictures in my Wood Cutter Shack thread however are larger and have automatically been downsized (shrunk) by the forum software to fit within the thread format, also an automated message has been attached below each downsized picture to inform the viewer of this.

For larger images that have been downsized, clicking on the pictures themselves will allow you to see the full sized images in a new window, be sure to maximise the new window for full visibility.

The great thing about this is that the forum software does all of the work for you. It is straight forward to add images to posts with out worrying about size restraints and resizing your own images to fit.

The forum intuitively resolves the problem of oversized images and keeps the threads looking clean and uniform, while also giving users the ability to post larger images to show their work in greater detail.

win/win.

Karl.A
  • I also concur with the earlier suggestion that the forum needs to have a link to the home page on the main site. I hope that Brett can get this in place soon.
  • I just click on "discussions" at the top of the page -
    Then choose "categories" -
    Then on "all discssions" in the right hand pane, at the top,
    and am able to navigate through the forum, after choosing
    the topic I wish to view. Or, just choose the topic that you
    want to view......JMO
  • Brett... great to see the link to the home page is now in place. For those wondering... just click on the "SierraWest Scale Models" logo at the top of the page and you will go to the Home Page on Brett's web site.

Thanks Brett. Makes navigation a lot easier.
  • Hey Brett.

Okay, I know you are specifically asking about your new forum, which I think is great, but I would like to give you my two cents worth on your products if okay. I have built several of your kits - Quincy, Deluth, Scottia, Foss, etc. They are fantastic, but what I would really like to see are more of those small little kits you used to produce.

I am referring to your "Mini-Scene" kits that you used to make. I use throughout places on my layout and next to other kits I have built - they always make nice compliments to scenes. Kits like... "Industrial Tank On Low Platform". I would love to see more of these little kits. I am sure they are a hassle to produce and with all your large kits on the go, may not be all that profitable to produce, but I sure would like to see their reintroduction. Pretty please... :) Occasionally they come up on eBay from time to time...but that is always a craps shoot.

Keep up the great work. Looking forward to the castings I ordered...cannot wait to smell the resin!!!!!!!!!

Karl.
  • Brett

Why when I go to sign out it tells me no such page then when I sign out again it works????

Jerry
  • not sure... must be a little bug but since it doesn't affect the usage side of the forum i have ignored it.
  • I'm not sure I think this is a good idea but I'll float it anyway. What would folks think about a single signon, i.e. one signon/password gains you access to both the forum and your private account?
  • they are not connected for security concerns so cannot do...
  • How about a separate bucket under "The SierraWest Forum" for problems/issues encountered with the website? Would give us a place to post so that we don't clutter up other themes.
  • I would like to see you start a line of figures that do the work in the shops.For instance a blacksmith hammering on anvil.{action figures for SWSM kits}
    Dave
  • I would love to see a line of figures to go along with the kits, guys working on equipment, loggers, etc.
  • I have a great o scale figure collection that is part of the chb line. I will look into releasing them this summer... thanks very much for the input!!
  • Now if you could just have the CHB masters scanned to an image suitable for 3D printing/prototyping HO scale masters...
  • I would like to see the ho sawmill interior castings available separately.
    ed
  • HO sawmill interior castings is another great idea as well.
  • I had those available at one time and will be happy to make up whatever you want... just email me
  • Brett,how about a this is who I am thread,so we can get to know who we talk to.
  • When a forum spills over to multiple pages I'd like to see a page selector at both the top and bottom of each page.
  • Mike, that is a developer thing...
  • As one who's developed a lot of software I know that if you don't ask you don't get... Perhaps you could pass the request on to whoever supports the package I assume you use.
  • Vanilla Forums has a great responsive team so I will pass it on...
  • Hey Brett,
    How about fielding another question to that team.

Make the forum compatible with the iPhone app Tapatalk.

Thanks
    Brice
  • Brett: any chance of developing a collection of early 20th century HO figures ie: industrial workers, Loggers etc. haven't found good quality ones as yet.
  • Brice - I will also pass that on to the developer...

Andy - no figures for me... not my thing! I learned the hard way to stick with structure kits.
  • Not sure if this is a forum or browser issue but sometimes when I select a thread with a new posting the pictures pop up filling most of my screen, sometimes clipped on the right because they won't completely fit. If I then reload the page they immediately resize properly. This is currently happening on Firefox 10.0.1but it happened on earlier releases too; have pretty much given up using IE8 so don't know if it does the same thing.
  • This also happens on both of my PC's Mike, running dfferent versions of explorer. It's to do with the forum software not your browser.
    As you say, a quick "refresh" of the screen resolves this so it is a minor inconvenience that happens occasionally.

Karl.A
  • Just an FYI, with the posting of the sneak preview (can't tell you how exciting that is!) there seems to be some rearrangement, intentional or not, of the various topics in the forum. There now appears to be a series of 3 buckets, Picture Posting and Resizing, Picture Posting and Picture Resizing instead of one overall bucket (can't honestly remember if there was 1 or 3 before); and they've moved down the main page to a new spot.