visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Trackwork worthy of SW kits--Ties, details, etc.

Just wondering if anyone has done anything special with the trackwork laid up to, through or adjacent to their SW structures/dioramas. For the first post in this category I'm particularly curious about whether anyone has attempted to model irregular, rough-hewn ties (like you would see in a logging operation), particularly in large numbers. Seems like a spectacularly large task and am not sure if it would be worth the effort beyond a limited scope unless someone has come up with a particularly clever way to crank them out.

Comments

• I like the look of logs being used on tracks in the backwoods but have been leary of trying this. For all of the track on my layout, including on my SW dios I lay out the ties using a fast tracks "irregular branchline" jig without any roadbed. Once the glue is dried and I have sanded level I hit them hard with a very stiff wire brush and pick at some of them with a dental pick looking tool. Sand lightly again and give 2 or 3 coats of a brown/black IA mix. Once dry, sand lightly again. For the ballast I use a mix of the dirt that will be used on the dio and some Arizona Rock "Cumbres & Toltec" ballast...mix of HO & N. Sprinkle some cinders down the middle and set with matte medium. Once dry brush a couple of coats of IA down the center.

For the rails...not shown here...paint sides using Floquil pens and while paint is still wet brush in some rust colored chalks or powders. 4 spikes on every tie.image
  • I just started a laying some "backwoods" track....the kind that the operation would consider temporary.....look no farther that the christmas tree lots in december....the trees are already "dead".....and they have plenty of scrap they will be glad to get rid of....just take it home...size it up.....and you have a great supply of rustic ties.....also a great source of some "logs" for your layout.....I'll post some picutres once the track is down....