visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

St Mary Lumber Co

I'll start with a track plan and add on later. This is the current configuration of my layout as an around the wall point to point. It mostly is a main camp on the left with a sub camp and logging operation in the center and a big open space on the right waiting on a sawmill.

The 2nd pic is a proposed addition to have the option of a continuous run with a lift out, a loco service facility as an extension of the main camp and a 2nd logging area. Though once this addition is added the first logging area may turn into a small mine.

The layout is on30 and is on a 12" grid.imageimage

Comments

• Great looking design Bryan, not overly tracked or at all cramped.
    You've already made a fantastic start on the left side and I am certainly looking forward to watching you progress around the room/layout.

Karl.A
  • Nice looking layout.
  • Nice design.

Jerry
  • I've spent the past couple of days playing connect the dots on the layout by filling in the area between Blue Sky and the RR Camp with scenery.

The first pic here is an older one where I was using the structures to mark out where sidings should go while laying track. Notice the conduit on the wall. This was leftover from my previous layout. I had installed a backdrop on hardboard on that layout so this was hidden. Experience says that removing this will take a chunk out of the wall that will need to be patched. I chose to paint it as part of the backdrop to see if I could hide it. It still looked bad so I came up with a plan B which was to hollow out a big tree. A tree this size sticks out so I needed a small clump of trees to blend it in...so on with the plan for connect the dots.

Next was to install lights into the existing structures. Much easier to do when building them by the way. Then the first layer of dirt was applied. Once this base was dried I started adding layers of ground covering. Weeds, vines, junk, deadfall, and pine needles. I'm thinking that an end of rail stop of some type and a pile of ties should finish it up.imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Wow! Just wow!
  • That last picture is a real winner Bryan.
  • Thanks guys.

I've been working on blending in 3 of the 4 SW dios that I have built. The 4th, the Woodcutter Shack is going over near the sawmill since that boiler will need a constant supply of wood and water.

The first photo shows the placement of each dio followed by further close ups. I wanted to look to be cluttered and used but overgrown by weeds. I started by putting in grass then adding junk, weeds, etc. Paths worn in the grass suggest movement between buildings. The tree trunks suggest that this area was logged over years ago and a meadow has creeped in.

I'm still working on adding weeds to the tracks and will probably have some more junk laying around. I'm trying to balance not enough vs too much. Once I'm satisfied with the look and the function of the track I will ballast the turnouts and secure everything with one last dose of matte medium.

If I ever get to do my expansion, the rigging and tool shed will need to move a bit since this is where the expansion will take off from. Not a problem though. The only thing holding these dios in place if the dirt and matte medium. I only need to find the edge if the dio and cut around it and lift it out.imageimageimage
  • Bryan your results are really impressive.

The paths look very natural. Keep posting some more pics.
  • Looking great, wonderful scene. I really like the abandoned boiler and gearing next to the rigging shed, just rusting away... this is the one from the logging and tractor repair shed kit? The caboose storage shed is awesome too!
  • Thanks Wes. The paths were done by using a sanding stick..60 or 80 grit. Once the scene was dry I sanded away the grass and added very fine dirt.

Thanks Brett. The boiler is from the tractor repair shed. I think it looks at home here.
  • MMM. That is an interesting way to do the paths.

Thanks for the tip.
  • I've been working on a log loading area on the layout with a pair of CHB donkeys, a spar tree and plenty of SW castings. I didn't take any construction photos of the Willamette loader but got a couple of the Washington yarder.

The yarder sled started as a dowel I got at Lowes. I believe about 1 1/8". I used a dremel to put some taper in it then attached it to some 1x2 scraps to secure it while I carved out the notches using a #11 blade...well a bunch of them.

The long shot shows the area being worked on. It's about 10ft, and the loader is not in it's final position. I'll get around to a cover for it soon. I used a smaller diameter tree and logging blocks in the distance. It's nice having these excellent castings available to make the scene look right.imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Bryan, this is spectacular. Did you do the really good background painting? It flows really well into the layout.

John
  • Thanks John. It's been a fun project but I've found something very interesting over the years. When I started building this I wanted a model railroad to run trains. I've figured out that I get more enjoyment out of building stuff than running trains. I've been meaning to clean off the track and run some trains for months but another build seems to get in my way.

I did paint the backdrop myself. I found lots of resources online. I particularly liked this tutorial:

The key is painting from back to front. Using subtle colors. And painting a haze on each layer as you move forward. I just used a white wash so the sky got several coats, the back mountains 1 less, the next set of ridges 1 less etc.

Here are a few progress photos. I tried to keep the foreground trees the same size, shape and colors as the model trees.

I used thick acrylics and applied the paint thick for texture.imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Fantastic! Thanks for taking the time post all these layout progress shots, including your mini-clinic on backdrop painting. Your integration of the various scenes appears seamless and very realistic, particularly considering this is O scale necessitating a fairly high level of selective compression.
  • Great info and pictures Brian, thanks for taking the time to explain how you did it. The results are superb.

Karl.A
  • Bryan, that is uncanny. I especially like your progress shots showing before/after on adding haze. The overall realism caught my eye because I thought it was the best meld of reality into background that I have see. Thank you for the description.

John
  • Bryan, I'm really interested in this thread. I'm moving next year and will have to start a new layout. Since I am doing HO I will have a bit more room. I want half to be a timber operation timber camp to sawmill, but I want the second half to be a town, railyard and other assorted things. Keep the pictures coming. You are doing a great job and inspiring me. Phil
  • Thanks John and Phil. I'll be expecting to see your layouts on here at some point.
  • edited January 2017
    It's been a long time since I updated this. It's been a long time since I've been able to model at all. I'm posting some of my trees here to go along with GeezerBill's trees. I'm not truly satisfied with my modeling of individual trees, but the group effect does make a convincing scene. Maybe one of these days I will try to model a better tree for use in the foreground.

This set of pics shows some of the sizes of trunks I used. This grouping will be extended to fill in the spaces so almost this entire corner will be wooded. Getting in closer you get a feel for the trunk sizes, and getting in much closer you see what gives the grouping a forest feel...the forest floor. (it also hides my lack of root structure).

I've also used trees for camoflauge. The big trunk on the last pic hides a wire conduit going up the wall. The back of the trunk is flat against the wall with a channel carved in it. The big tree stumps in the foreground make this big tree seem right at home.
    IMG_0122
    IMG_0123
    IMG_0127
    IMG_0594
  • I use the backdrop to add depth to the trees. This front-on photo shows some depth to the trees, and more depth will be added with a few more trees in the foreground. But viewed from the side you can see that the modeled trees are actually almost in a straight line.IMG_0609
    IMG_0612
  • And lastly, there are relatively few deciduous trees on my layout. But I just couldn't resist using the remains of the bonsai that I killed to make a tree stretching out over the water. A close up shows roots and bark that I will I could reproduce myself. IMG_0126
    IMG_0601
  • The whole scene here looks great Bryan. Is that gnome fishing?
  • edited January 2017
    You've been holding out on us all these years...unless I've been sleeping and totally missing all your posts. Just Amazing! I'll calling for a Tree Clinic from you...
  • I agree with Alan, those trees are wonderful. The trunk detail is great, a tree clinic would be in order and you will bend under the peer pressure so don't fight it.
  • The blend between the trees and the background painting is wonderful. Great combination of modeling and painting skills.
  • Great work Bryan the depth is spot on and the detail's on the trees is very real.
    Carl
  • Thanks guys. I'll try to put together a step-by-step on how I made the pines.

Yes Steve, the gnome is fishing. I'd hate to see what he catches. I put some goldfish in that body of water along with railroad ties, tires, rusted barrels, etc.
  • Bryan, excellent work. As I told you, I need a timber cutting scene and you are giving me something to reference. Like you, I plan to have large pine trees. Keep up the good work. Phil
  • Bryan, your complete layout looks just great. The trees are very realistic. It has been a long time since I looked at this and it is a joy to see it again. You really do have Big Boy trees. Very nice!

Geezerbill