visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Scratch Built Lumber Camp Bunkhouse

As I was waiting for my next SierraWest kit to arrive, i thought i'd try my hands at a scratch build. Its like taking the techniques learned in class and seeing if I could do it on my own. One scene i need to create is a lumber camp so i thought this would be a good place to start.

The first building i started with was a simple bunkhouse. I love the images from the Hangman Creek Diorama Company and how they depicted their lumber camp so that became my inspiration.

My first step was to create my "blueprints". I like to use SmartDraw online. Its sure its not the best CAD tool out there but it works nice for simple drawings. Here's what i developed for the frame blueprint.

IMG_0615

After going through the process of building the frame, i realized now nice it is to get those laser cut frames from SierraWest! I was pleased with how it turned out but it was a little time consuming.

IMG_0619

And now the finished product. The one adjustment i had to make was how i handled the roof. Originally i had planned on using rafter studs and wood planks covered by tar paper. But one thing i didn't think through was the fact that that the side walls need to be slightly higher than the front and back walls to account for the studs. since i didn't do that, i used the old cardboard method. Now that i went through this process, i'm going to try my original approach on the dining hall build which is next on the agenda.

Here's the final product. I'll add the porch and stairs when i fit this into my layout to see how elevated this bunkhouse will be from the ground.

IMG_0627

IMG_0628

IMG_0629

IMG_0630

(FYI: My next kit just arrived so this project will take a back seat for a bit).

Comments

• Excellent job on the frame!

The structure looks good. I think when you find the spot on your layout that you should reconsider the foundation...it just doesn't look quite right. If you keep the supports vertical, maybe another set or 2 would help. I'm wondering how rr ties laid horizontally in a criss-cross would look as a foundation.
  • @brownbr Good Call on that comment. I’ll do some more research online to get some ideas there. I really didn’t give the foundation much thought…as you can see
  • Turned out nice! I agree the foundations could use reconsideration.
  • the walls and roof looks excellent. i agree about the base however. either more legs or a different method.
  • Nice warm wood tones Kurt. What SierraWest Scale Models kit did you get?
  • I’m just beginning O’Neils Fab
  • Great project. There is something very rewarding about scratch building, something like the feeling you get when you complete a SierraWest kit build with a bit of extra pride at your accomplishment.
    Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Very nicely done, using the techniques you learned from the manuals have served you well.
  • Scratch building forces you to think through things like roof structure, accurate to scale dimensions, door/window placement and style and all the accessories needed to bring the structure to life. Before tackling these kits, I never gave any of the much thought. So for me, this has been a great exercise.