visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

And Now for Something Completely Different

Hi All. I was taking a break from railroad modelling and decided to try a fantasy scene. As this is not Sierra West related I felt this was the wrong venue for the pics but Brett (also a big fan of Fantasy lit) pressed me to show off a bit. This is my version of Diagon Alley from the Harry Potter books. From a modelling standpoint this is the first time I tried forced perspective. The
flags are in three different sizes. The bricks for the streets are 4 different sizes. The truck in the foreground is o scale and the one near the back is ho scale. I used 7 different scales of figures. I am pleased with the overall effect. A fun diversion.

Comments

• Joel.
    at first I thought it was a Norman Rockwell so neat. .........Carl...
  • Great modeling, fantastic scene. Thank you for sharing this with us. Absolutely love it!
  • Amazing work Joel! I have a forced perspective modeling project in the wings as well...I'll have to discuss with you at some point.
  • This is truly amazing. What a great project.
  • Fantastic work Joel, your talent is boundless. The forced perspective is incredible and seamless.
  • Outstanding....I just rec'd the Full Monty.....60 some figures.....Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail....all 28mm scale which is close to O scale to my eye....not going to start them for a while....
  • I love it.
  • Love the forced perspective. Fantastic modeling as well. This gives a lot to consider if you are doing a layout with any depth to it......Rick
  • Glad you shared. This is really cool!
  • Wonderful diorama!! Thanks for sharing!

Jerry
  • As a fantasy lover, I just LOVE this. So well done . Wonderful scenes. Thanks for sharing. (You too Brett !!)
  • Wow! Fantastic!
  • that's the most effective forced prespective i've ever seen. amazing job...
  • Very nice! Thanks for sharing.
  • Just WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Thanks so much for all the nice comments. It was a fun project but it's time to get back to real modelling. Really not sure where to put all these dioramas at this point.
  • Joel, if that's not real modeling, I don't know what is.... And for the dioramas, I had the same question . ...... I made a layout with them. The Beaver Lumber Company.. :smiley:
  • what is the overall footprint of the diorama?
  • Where to put the dioramas? A real dilemma. I made a layout as Robert did and then ran out of places on the layout. Now I have a table set up that holds some but it is running out of space. I have plans in my head to make a set of free standing shelves using black pipe as framing and weathering some lumber to look like old barnwood. I figure if the shelves have the same footprint as the table and have 3 shelves then I'll have 3 times as much space. It's just a matter of getting around to it.
  • Sorry I missed the question on size. This diorama is 2ft wide and 2.5 ft deep.
  • It looks about 25' deep, extremely well done.
  • Karl.A said:

It looks about 25' deep, extremely well done.

yeah, it sure does. its pretty amazing.

• What material did you use for the brick street? It's amazing.
  • Thanks but that was a real mess. I used simple clay from Michaels. It comes in terra cotta. I rolled it out and then used 4 3d printed rolling pins of different sizes. Again to give it a bit of perspective. Way in the back I just left the clay flat. Then it dried and cracked all over the place so I had to patch it a few times and redraw the lines repeatedly. I think it would have been better to just put a layer of plaster down and hand carve it because that's what I ended up doing but the end result is way softer as I can't put this in a kiln.
  • My wife is not allowed to see this. She will want one. Very cool Joel!!