visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Music To Accompany Building SWSM Structures

I was first introduced to Ahmad Jamal around 1960 and got hooked on his music and this one song in particular:

In Chicago we had the great pleasure of having Ahmad come town and perform fairly regularly.

Enjoy, Dave S. Tucson, AZ

Comments

• edited July 2022
    Lovely and happy jazz. Good combination !!! I usually have the Ipod on with a mix of classic, progressive rock , fusion, ambient and jazz music while I work on those beautiful kits !! Works very well for me :)
  • i have a 'cool' playlist on amazon. starts with take five (brubek), then europa, and it just gets better and better from there.
  • Kevin,
    The entire "Take Five" album is awesome. Good choice
  • [insert thumbs up emoji here] ______
  • Kevin - you should post a video of your son's band. More my listening pleasure!
  • Great recording of "Take Five" featuring composer Paul Desmond on sax; Dave Brubeck on piano; Joe Morello on drums and Eugene Wright on base.

• I listen to bagpipes and sea shantys.....but then again....I'm not right in the head....
  • LOL What makes you think any of us are?
  • I listen to bagpipes and sea shantys.....but then again....I'm not right in the head....

then ya gotta see tbis movie. it's great.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1648186/

• admin said:

Kevin - you should post a video of your son's band. More my listening pleasure!

careful what ya wish for boss..
    this is all i have. takes a few minutes to get going then its real good.

• but then there's always these guys:
  • Love the Alabaster music !!!
  • Robert.G said:

Love the Alabaster music !!!

thanks robert, i'll let them know.

• edited August 2022
    I played the trumpet and have listened to jazz for many, many years but it took me 77 years to discover this trombonist playing with an all star cast What a smooth sound.

"Misty" by Bob Brookmeyer and Friends

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Thank's Dave.
    Nothing like some good horn playing I have played the Sax for many years still do now and then could be it is time to start again. ........Carl......
  • That is Stan Getz on sax. As I said it is a powerhouse of musicians including Gary Burton, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Elvin Jones.
  • edited January 2023
    I like listening to my "Beastie Boys - Greatest Hits" CD while I model.

Unfortunately its a mini CD and I only get to paint one detail before it ends,
    that's why it takes me so long to finish anything...
  • Hah! Hard to believe you paint one entire detail.... you're fast!
  • Hah! Thats only for 'quick' items, like your amazing oil bottles or even the outstanding wooden crates.

For something more time intensive like a 55 drum or wooden barrel I always go for Bohemian Rhapsody.
  • when i work on details i usually listen to abbey road.
  • Celtic tunes, Drop Kick Murphy's, Flogging Molly.......and sometimes just bagpipes.....and everyonce in a while.....Beach Boys ( I am...was a surfer) and the Beatles....any sixties rock...
  • edited January 2023
    Art,
    I enjoyed reading your list of favorite music. Your interest in Celtic music brought to mind an album I recently discovered by The High Kings "The High Kings". It brought back fond memories of pubs in Dublin and along the west coast of Ireland. Great toe tapping music indeed. I have a nephew that plays the bodhran and a granddaughter that is a competitive Irish dancer.

Enjoy, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • I just happen to be a piper, a player of the tin whistle and Irish flute....and the bodhran....I play with an Irish session band
  • that's so cool. i love the drop kick murphys. as a kid i used to be forced to listen to people like john gary, and the chieftains. you can keep the john gary, but the chieftains....pretty cool stuff.
    gotta google a bodhran.......
  • Its a small (usually) goat skinned drum.....the way it's played is a lot different from normal......I am good friends with the piper from Drop Kick....he's a retired FF from Florida....they even wrote a tune about him ( Lee Boyh ).....
  • my son will probably know how to play it. he has a pretty big array of percussion instruments.
    very cool about your buddy. my wife mighty have one of their albums. i'll have to look for it.
  • edited February 2023
    While I was watching Kujo's layout video I saw a link to Chet Baker playing and singing "Candy". He was a great trumpet player, pianist and vocalist in his day. While listening to this song I can envision myself sitting in a candle lit jazz club in Chicago at about 2:00 am. What a great jazz artist. His personal life was a bit more tragic, however,
    Later, Dave S, Tucson, AZ
  • the latest psychedelia from alabaster (my son's band)
  • I could model with the music in the background, but, I had to turn the video off because my eyes went all 'squiffy' and every time I looked back down I couldnt see the little details I was working on... haha
    But the music was nice and mellow as background.