visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Ultimation Slicer

A lot of you on here found the Ultimation Sander to be a revelation in model making.....I was just at the Harrisburg Narrow O Show and came across their latest tool...The Ultimation Slicer....and was duly impressed. I have gone thru many Choppers....they are great tools...but mine have tended to loosen up after a lot of use and then I end up with not so accurate angle cuts. The Slicer is as solid a build as the Sander....it also uses chisel point blades making for precise cuts....and comes with a repeater attachment to make multiple duplicate cuts. It's worth looking into....I'll post some photos once I get my camera working right....they sold out at the show within a few hours....

Comments

• thanks for the head's up. i'm looking forward to learning about the slicer.
  • Kev….they have a YouTube video linked to their website for the slicer
    Terry
  • Muddy,

Thanks for the info about the Ultimation Slicer. I followed Terry's suggestion and went to the web site, watched the demo and promptly ordered what I perceive to ne a quality companion tool for my Sander.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • They give you 10 spare blades with it......I bought 2 sets of spares...as much as they look like standard box cutter blades...they are single bevel....makes for a better cut...less crushing of the wood....
  • edited June 2022
    Wouldn't a single bevel blade mean it cuts more to one side than the other and therefore lead to a chamfered/angled cut as it would 'direct' the blade to one side instead of cutting central... just asking for a friend.

There are two ways to use a chisel correctly because it is a single edge blade, the edge of the blade leads the cut, dependent on the cut you want. Either to smooth out a face or dig in to it...

Of course, with .020 strip wood that wouldn't make much of a difference, but with thicker wood an angled cut would require sanding to get it 'true'.

I guess that's where their sander comes in useful, but I'd be mindful to make sure I overcut everything and then sand to length/square/true.
  • karl,
    that's the same issue with the chopper, and why i use it so much less than i used to. i bought the repeater for the sander but i've not had a chance to use it yet, but the reason i bought it was exactly what you're referring to. the shight bevel that the single edged blade puts on the board. i know there's a way to defeat the bevel (a new war cry, DEFEAT THE BEVEL!) by rotating the stock when you're cutting it, but that's not always a perfect cut. i'm rambling. i should go back to bed.
  • I am guessing the single bevel would work similar to a tile nipper. Flat side toward the good piece, bevel toward the scrap. Makes for having retrim the lead edge. Just my 2 pennies worth on concept.
    I think that is what Kevin was saying as well?
  • Is there a way to set the Slicer up to make duplicate cuts? I looked at their website and didn't see any way.
  • I'm just passing along what they claim.....I work with wood a lot....and have a cutter that's very similar and the flat side would go to the "good" side of the cut as it will leave a more flush and square cut. I do the same as Karl...cut a bit longer and then sand flush to the line. When I do finish wood working such as the display and shadow boxes I make...I mark my cut line with a knife edge...like a razor blade....much more accurate than a pencil line.....I will do some cuts with the Slicer and report back....
  • I have just purchased one of these and it is scheduled to deliver today. Yes you are correct Karl in that a single bevel blade cuts more to one side than the other, which is why you have to mount his blades with the bevel to the left which takes this into account. The unit also comes with a repeater add on which allows you to cut identical cuts much like the sander. The website ultimation.ca has several excellent videos explaining this much better than I can.
  • I have had one for a few weeks.....not had a chance to use it on a kit...but i have cut some wood....and the flat side of the blade needs to be towards the finished cut.....it does seem to be much better than other tools I've used.....
  • Mine arrived yesterday. I immediately put it to use. I purchased it especially since it was supposed to cut thicker stock with a nice square cut. I used it on 3/32 square stock and cut a little long like the instructions say. When making the finished cut it still is not perfectly square. there's a light angle to it. The blade came already installed so it's not because I put it in wrong. It's an improvement on the chopper but not perfect.
  • My bad! I'm left handed and installed the repeater on the right side of the blade for comfort in using. The instructions call for it to be installed on the left side of the blade. This made the taper on the blade on the cut side thus giving the angle to the cut. I reversed the blade and it did in fact give a nice square cut to the 3/32 square wood. My apologies.
  • That is great to hear. I have ordered one and it was to be here Thursday But have not seen it yet. Randy
  • edited July 2022
    Seems like twice the cutting to me. Not an ideal tool for cutting say 36 deck legs or any other multiple cuts to an equal length. due to the blade, it seems to be badly thought out and not efficient for quick multiple cuts for results square at both ends.
    Everytime you make a cut so the piece you want is square, you then would need to square off the end of your stock again before cutting off the next leg/post/stud, whatever it is, thus making it double the work.
  • Karl, as I said in my second post I put the repeater cutting guide on the right side of the blade because I'm left handed. The instructions call for it to be on the left side of the blade. In doing that I initially didn't reverse the blade which came preinstalled for the repeater guide to be on the left. When I reversed my blade it did cut a nice square cut. I was cutting 3/32 square stock. I am pleased with the result.

You do have to initially cut the piece about 1/8" long then make the finish cut, so yes you do have to make 2 cuts but the repeater guide does make the final cut all the same length.
  • So just to be clear, you need to purchase the slicer AND the repeater in order to make repetitive cuts the same length? I watched the video on Al's website and was a bit unclear on that. Full disclosure I was doing two other things while watching so I may have missed the explanation in the video, hah!
  • edited July 2022
    I understood you Tom,
    what I am saying is, if the cut is square only on one side due to the blade then you will need to square up the other side of the cut every time to continue.

This means you either need to overcut the piece you want and sand it square. Or,
    You need to square up the end of your stock again after every cut so the next piece you cut off is square. (which I think Emery already said when he said "trim up the lead edge")
  • The Slicer as I bought it comes with a repeater. I always cut long and sand to exact size. The flat side of the blade should go to your "squared" measurement. It's the same as using a chisel blade on the Exacto handle. If the cut is going into the "base" as in a deck leg...I don't necessarily need a square cut....just the length I want it. Same if I'm cutting an end that will be exposed....I'm going to "work" that end to be detailed and worn looking. I'm going to play some more with mine tonight....and I will try to get some good shots.....and lo and behold....I may even put them up here for some inspection. Like all tools...there will be opinions as to what works best. I've never been happy with my Chopper....always seemed to crush before cutting. And while I like the Ultimation Sander....I just can't lay down that kinda cash for a non powered tool....no matter how good it works. I had to pry the $160 (show price) out of my pocket for the Slicer....
  • Yes the slicer comes with the repeater while the sander has the repeater as an option.