visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Foss' Landing is finally coming together

Comments

• Well, everyone, it's been awhile since I've posted but I'm getting back into this now. It's almost 20 years since I built the buildings, boat etc. Now I'm finally getting around to the details with both a bit of help from Brett's 2002 book and a few tips from Craftsman University. Stay motivated!
  • So bring us up-to-date with some more pix!
  • Thank you, my friend, will do.
  • I've spent many hours painting and weathering the details and am now fooling around with the placement of them.
  • Fooling around with the details is the most fun part of any build for me. Take you time and enjoy the process. Everything looks really good thus far.
  • Great stuff John. Glad you're back at it!
  • edited June 2022
    Layout is looking great John, the integration of Foss' is coming along very nicely, love the "Clam Crates" , wonderful detail executed perfectly.
    So great to see that boat up on the ramp, one of my favourites.

I / we all look forward to seeing continued progress soon ...
  • Thank you all for the encouraging comments. I intend to spend some time in this area arranging details, figures, etc to try and set the scene. I was great getting back to work on all those detail castings and I'm very please with the results. The main difference this time is that I used the Rustoleum Camo spray paints to prime the oil drums, wooden barrels, crates and acetylene tanks etc. I especially enjoyed painting the oil drums and hitting them with the wire brush to expose chipping effects. I still have more Floquil and Poly S paints than I will ever need, so I used them extensively here too.
  • John, things are looking good. That tall pilling at the end of the retaining wall would look great with a working light. The rust streaks on the bridge look really natural. The boat on the ramp looks like it should be there for some major refurbishing. Keep up the good work and please keep posting pictures. Randy
  • Really enjoy where this is going. Thank you for sharing. I absolutely love the waterfront kits!
  • Randy, there are tall pilings on each end of the retaining walls and this was my original intention for lighting as you would definitely need some there. I am planning a second Envirotex poor and want to wait until after that is completed before beginning the process of installing lights. As many of you can probably relate to, our skills and foresight increase dramatically throughout the years. Many of the structures were completed over 30 years ago which was long before the layout. It was my hope that someday they could all be incorporated into a layout and I have been successfully able to do that with most of them but not all. In addition, during that timeframe, I was a younger and less experienced modeler and planner and really had nobody to guide me. The club I belonged to was made up of mostly collectors since the original builders of the layout and structures had long passed. I didn't know much about lighting and detailing interiors of structures so many of the buildings don't incorporate those aspects and trying to retrofit them now is impossible. With that being said, I'm trying to learn as much as I can about LED lights and how to install them as this is clearly not my strong suit. I prefer building, weathering, and detailing kits and doing scenery work and therefore am somewhat intimidated with the idea of adding lights to completed structures on the waterfront scene. Once again, this area was never designed for such aspects and I need to drill through 6 inches of plywood etc. in some areas to accomplish this task but I'm willing to try. I've seen some wonderful ideas on this forum and realize that this may be all the inspiration I need to move forward. As always, I look forward to learning more from this group and sharing ideas that provide us all with the knowledge needed to accomplish our dreams. Thank you all.