visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

mario rapinette

i saw on facebook this morning that mario has passed away.

Comments

• Very sad news he was a very big part of the hobby for many years.
  • Mario was an incredibly talented modeler and a whole bunch of fun to hang out with. He had been sick for quite awhile, put up a great battle and I hope he and his family has found some peace in his passing. We'll miss you MR!
  • So sad. He was just a fun guy to have met and to hang out with. He will be missed by many. RIP my friend.

Jerry
  • My Condolence to Mario's family
  • Sad News He was a big part of the Hobby
  • Sad news for sure. Never had the pleasure of meeting Mario but thoroughly enjoyed his web-site, videos, and his contribution to the modeling community. Will be surely missed.
  • edited October 2022
    Does anyone know the family of Mario Rappinet well enough to give me an introduction. I noticed this morning that his website seems to have gone away and I'd love to know what it might take to have it back, get it onto a website, to be left as is, but also be made available to folks...It was such an amazing resource. I'm not sure exactly when it disappeared, but there might be a window to get it back...
  • I was on there 2 days ago. So it must have just been taken down.

What a shame but I guess it got too expensive to keep it running.

Jerry
  • Web hosting is so inexpensive. I know there were a lot of pictures...but I can get 100gb of google cloud storage for $2/month...if I could make it happen, I'd just do it.
  • Ben….great idea, I hope you can make it happen. A good photo hosting site is SmugMug. I’ve had my Vietnam photo site with them for many years. It’s more expensive than the cloud site you mentioned but as far as I know it’s unlimited space.
    Good luck
    Terry
  • The content of his site can be accessed via the WaybackMachine, so in theory there's still a way to access some content if you know what you're looking for. Offering to take over hosting of the original would be preferable, but if there's something you're looking for go to the waybackmachine.
  • I (and apparently others as well) have contacted his son about getting the site restored. I will let you know when I hear what he finds out,

Barry
  • Barry said:

I (and apparently others as well) have contacted his son about getting the site restored. I will let you know when I hear what he finds out,

Barry

Thanks Barry. Keep me posted. I have downloaded (probably) all of the modelling imagery that he had posted, with as much info as I could gleam. I could basically rebuild his Miniatures Worldwide 2020 and 2022 pages. As much as I'd like to do the same with his railroad prototype images, there are just too many of them...it'd take me forever. Hopefully someone is able to get the website from his family and simply restore it for prosperity. It is such an amazing resource.