visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Ordering AK Interactive direct

edited November 2021 in Tools and Supplies
Hey all,
I searched and didn't find this mentioned specifically, my apologies if I am duplicating info. I want to make an order of AK interactive product that is kind of extensive and it seems like it will be easier to make one order direct instead of 3 or 4 orders from different places here in the states (I hope this isn't bad form). During checkout the AK Interactive website issues this warning "** This shipment may generate additional costs at the destination country due to customs brokerage fees, taxes & duties. The Buyer is responsible for the payment of those expenses and by placing the order declares to be aware of them** By ordering, you agree to this warning."

Has anyone ordered direct from AK into the United States and can share whether or not there are any additional fees?

Thanks

Comments

• Karl.A said:
    Thanks, I read that thread and didn't find anything about shipping specifically. EmeryJ's comment makes it seem like the answer would be that there isn't anything additional, but assumptions make an...

• No worries, the USA does not have an importation tax so you will not be required to pay anything.
  • I usually get mine from Scale Hobbyist or Michigan Toy Soldier.
  • brownbr said:

I usually get mine from Scale Hobbyist or Michigan Toy Soldier.

Same here...

• I have ordered direct from AK 3 times, and no additional fees have ever been charged.
  • edited November 2021
    thank you all! I've also ordered from Michigan Toy Soldier and they've been great to deal with. I am trying to fill out a few different techniques and have something silly like 42 different items in the cart and I've tried to order it from hobby shops here in the states but I always seem to come up missing a few things. Ordering direct just gets it done this time.
  • I bought a set of the weathering pencils. Have tried them out a couple times but don't quite have the technique down yet. Will keep trying.
  • From seeing your previous weathering skills I’m sure the results will be spectacular with a great tutorial as well…no pressure tho ;-))
    Terry
  • I purchased a full set of weathering pencils direct from AK. Very fast shipping and for all the set, I found the price quite reasonable.
  • edited December 2021
    I guess update. Kind of blown away. I placed the order, 45 different unique items. Everything was in stock as listed. It shipped next day, arrived in 4 days...there were not any extra customs fees. A big order, from Spain in less than a week
  • edited January 2022
    I just ordered some AK Interactive supplies on Wednesday January 12th directly from them in Spain, and I received them in Chilliwack BC on Monday the 17th. Great service. There are no hobby shops anywhere close to me, except Michaels, where I get my artists paint and brushes, so I basically have to order most of my supplies in. I got AKs weathering pencil set last year the same fast service. Those pencils work extremely well btw.
  • i gotta be honest, i just went to ak's website to place an order, and they couldn't make it any more difficult. what a stupid website.
  • Kevin….. I usually order my AK products from Michigan Toy Soldier
    Terry
  • finally figured it out and placed a smallish order.
  • Ammo by Mig Jimenez just announced a new line of colors called Rail Center. It's a line that included enamels and pigments with rail colors vs armor colors. I've been using the armor colors for years and feel no need to run out and buy a complete set but will give these a try when I need to replace some. I could probably find a color or 2 to try first.

The paints are enamel. If you have not tried using enamels, I highly recommend giving them a try. The streaking and wash effects are hard to duplicate with acrylics.
  • That's great news, been in the works for a short time and I am so glad they brought them to market. Please be sure and let us know how you like them.
  • Interesting take on the use of enamels. I haven't used many so I'd like to see more.
  • Here's a couple of situations where I have used enamels. If you want to see expert use, check out some of the military modelers. I'm still trying to get the subtleness worked out. We all try to get better each time.

The roof moss and white streak on the tarpaper.
    The grease accumulation around the axel and dust under the carriage.
    The rust and accumulated dust on the washtub.
    Wet oil on barrel and rust and grime streaks on lubester.
    IMG_0705
    IMG_0835
    IMG_0874
    IMG_1484
  • Very well done, Bryan…..the enamels may help but it’s your eye for detail that make the pieces stand out…. I always look forward to the subtleties you add to a model
    Terry
  • Thanks Terry.

Another use: accumulated mud/dirt

IMG_2269
    IMG_2271
  • NICE BRYAN REAL NICE. .........
  • Excellent work on those details Bryan. Enamel and oil paints are really the best for this kind of weathering and details. The long drying time makes them longer 'workable'...
  • I have used oils and enamel washes but not enamel paint very much. Looks like another good "tool" for certain effects.