visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

westfield hotel

edited November 2021 in Off-Topic Forum
a good friend of mine (the gal who's bed and breakfast i scratchbuilt) is orginally from westfield nebraska. westfield was a railroad town back in the day, and the town, like so many midwestern towns, grew up around the railroad. anyway, her father was the stationmaster for the milwaukee road. the depot is now a railroad museum, and the ho layout has a scratchbuilt model i built of the depot on it, and they asked me if i would be able scratchbuild the westfield hotel. at first all i had to go on was this photo from a 1967 newspaper article about it. here's the photo:
1967resizedpicofhotel
sheri's husband kyle made a trip to westfield to take pictures of the structure as it today. i'll put one his pics at the bottom.

so i agreed to give it a shot provided they would reimburse me for all the materials. i didn't charge for the time.
it took quite a while to build because of all the different levels of brick, but i did it and when her dad came here to visit her i presented it to him. when i gave it to him he started tearing up and took out his cell phone to call his buddy in the train club. "brad, i'm looking at an exact replica of the hotel. i'll send you a picture." brad and i had communicated in the past because he had said that it was necessary to truncate the footprint of the depot, so he knew who i was because we had several conversations. he's also the publisher, editor and reporter for the town's newspaper. i was gonna scratch build the paper's office but he died, so there was no need.

Hotel resized 2

Hotel resized 13

Hotel resized 17

this was my second scratchbuild. the depot was my first.

what it looks like now:
Hotel1

i just wasn't gonna try to build it on that hill.

here's the 1:1 depot.
DepotDimensions

and the depot model:

finished depot1

finished depot 4

Comments

• Geezo Peezo,,,,well done Kevin…Can Do
  • Terrific build Kevin to accurately recreate the structure. Also to recreate, and your creation to evoke some ones emotions is a great feeling.
    Well done.
  • thanks guys. i found a pic of both of them on the layout in the depot museum:
    Depot2
    you can just see the side of the hotel.

i found an external hard drive and plugged it into my laptop to see what was on and lo and behold....
    i found these, and dozen of n scale structures that i scratchbuilt, and later sold off.
  • Great job a usual kevin! Just wish I had room to do another Layout to accommodate all the SW kits I have built in the last 2 years. If I lived in your neck of the woods, I would have a basement to do this.
  • Nice job Kevin
  • edited November 2021
    What an honor to be asked to build that. And what a great implementation . !!!
  • Fantastic work Kevin, thanks so much for sharing this with us.
  • a guy i've known for several years, a fellow musician, has alot of dough, and has a couple of houses in wisconsin. one of them is a lake house on green lake (not one of the mansions) and he wants me to build a model of it. i can do it fairly easily because it's not a complicated building, but i have no idea how much to charge him. do any of you fellas have any experience doing this?
  • Kevin your never going to get the money out of it for the time spent! Why don't you just charge him what you think is a fair price.
    I think that would make you both happy!

Jerry
  • Great story!
  • Great job replicating both structures!
  • thanks fellas,
    that was one of my earliest adventures in styrene.
  • Nice job Kevin and what a great thing to do for the museum.
  • Nice work Kevin.
  • thanks ken and joel.. what i failed to mention at the top was that this happened around 2010.