visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Clapboard Walls vs Board on Board

Hi All,
Just wanted to get your feed back on Clapboard walls vs board on board.

Currently working on a 3rd party build that uses all Clapboard walls...to be frank. I'm not a fan of Clapboards at all.

I prefer without question, board on board that Brett gives us on all his kits.

I did at one time applied thin strips of stained wood to the grooves of the Clapboards...this takes much time but the effect is so much better but windows/doors were another issue. I did work it out.

My question is, anyone here ever worked with Clapboard walls/staining and if so please share.

Thanks Guys,

Pappy

Comments

• I work with clapboard more than I do board on board.

Naturally, doing everything “manually” is always going to yield better results. Just no two ways about it. The difference is a) the time afforded per build and b) the build type itself. Am I working on an HO layout? If yes, chances are high I’m working with clapboard. Am I producing an O-scale diorama? Chances are I’ll be doing board on board.

Sometimes I just want to produce — keep my imagination ahead of my hands. If so, I’m no doubt working with clapboard.

Short answer, then: it all depends on my goals, my time and my mood. Both are equally as rewarding, in my opinion.
  • Variation is the answer to this question.....if you build everything with board on board...either vertical or horizontal....everything will look like the same guy built everything. I've worked with clap sheeting and worked it with tools to get graining, lift some claps....add joints....and such. It's a lot of work. Laying claps single board at a time is the best look...but it is a lot of work. Since I did construction framing...I tend to build as if it's a real full size build. It's all up to the look you are trying to achieve. Try modeling plaster and lath if you want to go insane....I'll post a few photos once I get back from Hickory...
  • No reason you can't do both. You can always add stripwood to the milled clapboard if you want the look of board on board with a template underneath to keep it all straight.
  • Muddy’s right—a multi-building dio needs variety in design. Brownbr’s right—if it’s technique and control you seek, use BOB over clapboard. I’m thinking of Morton’s, O’Neill’s, and RR Camp off the top of my head that follow this line of thought.
  • edited September 1
    ALCO said:

Muddy’s right—a multi-building dio needs variety in design. Brownbr’s right—if it’s technique and control you seek, use BOB over clapboard. I’m thinking of Morton’s, O’Neill’s, and RR Camp off the top of my head that follow this line of thought.

You sir have as they say have "hit the nail on the head"!

• you guys all saw my trevails with the board on board on norton's. i went through a ton of scale 1x6s, but in my opinion, it was worth every minute of it. to me, clapboard can't be detailed as well as board on board, and i doubt that i'll ever use clapboard by itself again.
    i have to qualify that by saying that there is a chance i may scratchbuild some waterfront structures out of styrene clapboard, but if i do, it'll be very run down.
  • WHO IS BOB ?
  • Thanks to all for your comments. Much appreciated.

Adding thin strip wood after staining to the clapboard which I have done on one of brett's kits came out great. I had to use slightly larger corner posts to accommodate the additional strip wood thickness..no big deal. Windows, doors were another issue and as I said earlier, I got by.

I agree, a mixture between the two (clapboard, board on board) adds some more character to your diorama depending on your layout.

As I stated earlier. I am currently working on a 3rd party build that has approx 30 clapboard walls and no BOB. So adding thin wood to all theses walls? not sure if I want to spend that much time but never know.

Will always be a BOB fan.

Thanks again guys for your comments.

Pappy
  • edited September 2
    Not sure why the above pic's were posted. didn't get the message...oh will... moving on..have fun guys :smile:

Brett, you can cancel this clapboard post...:) I got what I needed and thanks.

Thanks again guys for your suggestions.

BYW, I love BOB over Clap...lol...humm I said that wrong..lol

Moving on...End of discussion :smiley:

Pap