visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Dana's Twin Mills Build

edited May 2021 in HO Scale Builds
Hello fellow SierraWest builders! I'm new to this - both posting a long-running thing about a build, and actually building. I officially started my model railroad layout journey starting actual plans and benchwork around this time last year. So I'm going to start with an intro, and my motivation for sharing here.

I'm finally starting on a layout, something I really knew I wanted to do after I got my first train 10 years ago for Mother's day - an O scale Lionel Hogwarts train, because I'm a big Harry Potter fan. I decided I wanted to do a logging/mining type layout with some waterfront as well, and finally moved to a house where I could take half of our downstairs living room to build a decent sized train layout.

So... I tried a few different types of models - first a plastic model of the Munster house - my first ever attempt at modeling, then a craftsman kit mill, and then a float plane... joined a bunch of facebook train and modeling groups and kept seeing "kit-bashing" and "scratch-building". When I read about Sierra West models and the detail instructions and awesome detail parts Brett has to offer, I decided this would be a great way to really learn the techniques I was after, so as a very novice builder, I decided on Twin Mills. It's perfect for my logging layout concept - I looove geared locos and old western and rural early 20th century towns!!.

So about July of 2020, I took the plunge and ordered it...

Twin Mills - 1 of 76

So... I have a decent amount done by now... so why am I posting this now? Because I recently (Back in February... wow, how time flies these days!!!) met Phil @KCSTrains at a local train show and we got to talking about Sierra West - I asked him lots of questions and showed him a couple photos, and he encouraged me to show this off and also suggested this as a great place for the questions that I sometimes have as I continue with this build. So, here I am, and I'll break this out into some sections of work I've done over the past year... still a good bit to go, as I've been starting up the layout, and learning more about the prototypes and the hobby as I go. I LOVE this hobby and consider my layout a lifetime project (well, the rest of my lifetime at least, just really getting into the hobby last year at the age of 48).

I spent the first entire long weekend cutting the 24" lumber into the various sizes and then setting them to soak and stain...

Twin Mills - 6 of 76

Twin Mills - 9 of 76

My husband, who models military and sci-fi from 1:48 - 1:700 scale, and enjoys 1:1 woodworking projects was watching me in amazement as I diligently cut the 1,270-ish wood parts to start from. He has a tendency to practice techniques and watch lots of videos before starting anything, and I have more of a jump in and see what I can learn type of approach. I got this thing to learn from Brett's experience, after all, so I just started following instructions.

A couple notes at this point in the journey - being a complete noob, I had a good challenge in figuring out comparable paints to the floquil paints that are now discontinued, and also had a mishap accidentally mixing acrylic and enamel paints making the washes - oops! that was really goopy!

This is a photo of where I am today, and how it's working into my budding layout (that I still refer to as "foam-land", but getting very close to having some running track... I'll proceed from here with some additional posts outlining my journey and more detailed photos of my steps and things I ran into along the way. Thanks @Phil for your encouragement! I've been stalking this group for a long time, but never posted. And thanks to Brett for such amazing "kits"!!

IMG_4333

Fitting it into the track layout has been a big challenge for me, and I would love input on how it is looking. Trying to get trains running around, but reserving this line for my Shay (future Shays), and allowing for at least somewhat prototypical operations has been very challenging. I think this is working out - the backdrop on the wall behind will extend out a logging forest, and the line will loop around to the other side of the layout where i plan to have a mine, as well as have a spur back to the main to transport goods to the yard. Before I pull out the plaster and nail down the track, other ideas that could help make it better will be super valuable to me!

Comments

• So great to have you here with us Dana and wonderful to see another "Twin Mills" being built, you really look to have made a great start so far on this incredible kit from the pictures.
    You say that you're a "noob" and your story should give confidence to every one to just open that SW box and follow the instructions.

Starting with a build of "Twin Mills" may seem like a bold move to some, yet your excellent results show that any modeler at any stage can pick up any SWSM kit, follow the manual and get the results that make you proud.

It's a testiment to Brett's outstanding product, and also to you for your great work so far and 'jumping-in'.

I have no input on the layout at this point, but, it looks like you are headed in the right direction and have some evolving ideas that sound great.

I'm definitely going to be following along with your progress and there are several here who have built this great kit and will have any suggestions you may need.

Looking forward to many more pictures as you continue this epic journey.
  • Welcome aboard Dana. Happy you took the plunge. Twin Mills is one of the largest and most complex of Brett’s kits so you have already shown great patience and abilities. You should be proud of your accomplishments to date.
    You can Google Floquil paint conversion and get some help there.
    Don’t be bashful about asking questions. If you’ve read other posts you know all of us encourage one another and are also willing to assist with suggestions and positive critique. You would also read where we have all made mistakes and how most were corrected.
    What I see of your layout so far looks good. Just be careful of too tight curves, kinks, etc. Good track work and reliable electrical are key. Derailments and electrical problems kill the joy of the layout. There are tons of YouTube videos to guide you there. Your patience will pay huge dividends here.

Press on and again welcome to a great bunch of modelers.........Rick
  • Welcome aboard, Dana. You’ll find a very supportive group of modelers here. If you haven’t read thru them yet it might be worth your time to read thru the build threads of the sawmill posted by previous modelers. A few false steps might be avoided by reading how others have gone wrong and how they corrected....
    Looking good so far
    Terry
  • Welcome aboard. Looking forward to following.
  • Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I definitely have been reading all the posts on Twin Mills as I've gone along and used many reference photos from the posts here to help me figure things out. I will start posting from the beginning, and will surely be asking more questions as I get into the detailing of this beautiful kit! I haven't worked on it in a couple months, been trying to focus a bit more on getting track running now that I have enough of it done to see and feel how the track can fit around it. And currently working on a tavern kit for down the hill so that I can get a feel for building size for the area down there and how I want my hills, river, etc. to fall out.

And then, because of my excitement over strip wood due to starting Twin Mills, I'm scratch building and developing plans for the tavern interior (bar, table, chairs, etc. :smile: )

One thing Twin Mills has taught/inspired me is to build anything wood out of wood! well, if you think about it - duh! But seriously, working with strip wood is so much more realistic and easier to make look good (again, duh.. it looks like wood because it is wood) vs. a plastic or even craftsman kit wall. Making a plastic "wood" building look realistic is a whole different skill - one I'll probably still work at for some things, but overall, this has spoiled me to want to always build with HO lumber.
  • Looks like you have this well in hand. Need some more pictures please.
    And welcome to the forum Dana.

Jerry
  • Welcome.. Nice looking start on the railroad. Hope to see some more pictures as your project progresses.
  • Dana...in my welcome post I forgot to mention that I enjoyed your narrative of your background and how you arrived att this point
    Terry
  • It looks like you are well over the half way point of building this kit. I give you credit for climbing Mount Everest before tackling smaller mountains.

I was curious if you could share the paints and mixtures you used to stain your wood?
  • edited May 2021
    Dana, welcome to SW. You are doing great!
    Many Great Modelers here to help out if needed.
    You will learn a lot doing the Stick scratch builds Kits which are best on the planet by Brett.
    I started off doing the O scale dueling shacks and learn so much and from many others here.
    I am now on my 6th kit from Brett and love every second building.

Keep up your great work!!
  • mill looks great so far. i'm sure we'd all love to see some overall pics of your layout.
  • Dana so glad you've joined the forum and off to a great start on one of the greatest kits of all time. Looking forward to further posts and stories.
  • Wonderful start, excited to follow your progress. Thank you for sharing your build with us!
  • Dana, you took my advise!!! LOL It was great to meet you at the show. I knew when I saw your pictures that you were on the right track and would benefit from this forum. Sorry, but I've been absent doing other stuff, but I'm back at it. You won't regret getting on the forum. Phil
  • Welcome to the forum and what a great build to feature!