visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

kebmo's o scale sawmill build

edited May 2021 in O Scale Builds
just kidding. i wanted to get your attention because i wanted to tell you guys a little something about my job.
#1, i hate it. i hate having to kiss stupid people's asses all day. every day. and far too many nights.
that being said, it does have a really cool perk that i just discovered, and verified:
it's a program called benefits plus. you start at $50 your first year, and you can you can tap this for theater tickets, gym memberships, and hundreds of other things, including hobbies. i'm up to $1000.00 per year, and a couple of weeks ago i sent the administrator of the program an email with a link to brett's o scale saw mill, and asked her, "would this be considered reimburable"?
she answered me back in about 15 minutes, "absolutely. we would reimburse for this".
i have it in writing.
which brings me to this: do i want the sawmill? YEAH! do i have space for it in my plan? I wish i knew. i am commandeering one wall in the lower level. and not the entire wall, but 12' of it. i hope to build a "working diorama" on30 layout in a 3' x 12' space. given that i will also be using it as a display of the swsm kits i have built, and norton's on one end of it (along a river), the sawmill stands to take up a very large chunk of that space, and will i be able to squeeze a railroad in there? therein lies the rub. i'm a terrible "track planner", basically because i know nothing about it.
i have the logging and tractor repair on the bench now, and the truck repair after that. no more structures on the bench after those two. just some disconnects and a blacksmith car left to build. (and whatever i decide to scratch build.)
any ideas how to fit all that in 12x 3 layout would be greatly appreciated, because i really do want to order the saw mill and drive you guys crazy while i build it; but not if i can't figure how to fit it in.....
for reference, i have the following structures. not all need be rail served.
woodcutter's shack. (fortunately both of my locos are wood burners)
small water tower (scratch built to go next to the woodcutter. its "plot" is 7" wide.
railroad camp
o'neill's
tractor repair
truck repair

please help me figure this out so i can take the plunge before i retire next summer!!

Comments

• That was ALOT of words for me to read just to reply... “buy it!!!!”

It won’t be around forever and your boss just gave it to you for free, essentially... get it while you can and it ain’t costing you nothing !!! I need a boss like yours...

Need more info on the 12x3 to work out a plan for you but we’ll get to that. For now, order the kit, get the money back and sit and enjoy.

Reminds me of an old “Deucy’s Song”... ‘don’t quit ‘till you get the kit’ ...
  • My job perks are limited to finding unused Nespresso pods.

Wow, what an opportunity for you. For what it’s worth, I say go for it!
  • we're in the middle of a refi so i'm gonna wait til that's closed on. i have to let stuff settle down. i just took a paycut, and we have to absorb that and see how it shakes out. I UNDERSTAND its pretty much a freebie, but my wife is ever the sceptic. she says, if they even do reimburse you they'll take taxes out. she's right about that. i'm gonna order it eventually.
  • It's only money. Ya came into the world with zero, ya should leave with zero. (or less. Bahahhahah)
  • don't worry....i will
  • edited May 2021
    "Keep it Rusty", do you also go by "Rusty Robot", in various places ?

Kevin, hopefully you'll make your decision with your free money before the kit becomes possibly unavailable and then you'll regret holding back on grabbing this chance. Molds wear out and we all know Brett wont ship anything that he isn't 100% happy with.

I do like Emery's post...
  • Karl — one and the same!
    I changed my “branding”, so to speak, a few weeks ago.
  • edited May 2021
    Thought so Rusty,
    we'll carry the convo on in you're new thread so as not to "de-rail" Kevin's upcoming awesome build of his new sawmill that he's about to order, ... any further in his thread...
  • edited May 2021
    Kevin,
    you said you have 12x3 , which from your first post reads like you have a wall, (but not all of it), which leads me to ask, where is the corner, where is the door, where are the ends of the space you have, are they closed off?

Think of the "Dolly Varden" layout, but condensed... that one in particular gives me thoughts for you. Not a copy of it, but used for inspiration. That one is only 24-30" deep if I remember correctly.

I can already imagine a great switchback layout utilizing auto-reversing modules for continuous run, but more importantly a great space to show off the ultimate kits you are building, with animation, detailed all the way and space for all of those great builds your doing.

• Kevin, you know what to do the next years... GET THAT SAWMILL..... Worth every penny...
  • karl,
    the only physical obstacle is a window. no doors on the "layout" side of the room. one end is in a corner, the other end ends about 7 or 8 feet from the shelves near the workbench
  • Bring it on.
  • Kevin you might as well buy it. What else you going to do with all that free time when you retire?
    You'll have every night to work on it after your daily chores that you didn't know you had!!

Jerry
  • It will be lots of fun to see your build and take on the sawmill!
  • Peer pressure to acquire the Sawmill appears sufficient...
  • Think of it as an “investment in you”. It’ll keep you off the streets at night LOL
  • Mine is still "in progress".....but it is with no doubt worth the investment....I have to get a few other projects done before I get back to it. I have been in the shop...things have gotten done...just no photos yet...
  • believe me its not a matter of it not being worth it. i'm gonna order it, i just gotta wait a while....
  • edited May 2021
    Thanks for the added info Kevin. I essentially have the same space as you so I'm also (seriously) thinking about fitting all my builds into a similar space, I feel your pain.
    I will however have an 8' extra wall at 90 so mine will be 'L' shaped, but,

back to the important stuff,
    whatever I do, the sawmill will be on it, the decision will be how to fit my other SWSM builds into the scenario... after all, how can you leave the King out of the kingdom.
  • Kevin, I feel your pain when it comes to working.
    I retired last year and living the dream, no political bs at work, no bosses to impress, all just went away...poof...gone.
    I just have one boss now....my wife :smiley:
    Who by the way spoils me buying me all of Bretts Kits...:)
  • Pappy said:

Kevin, I feel your pain when it comes to working.
    I retired last year and living the dream, no political bs at work, no bosses to impress, all just went away...poof...gone.
    I just have one boss now....my wife :smiley:
    Who by the way spoils me buying me all of Bretts Kits...:)

yeah, well....mine doesn't. i'm jealous as hell.
  • i pulled the trigger on the saw mill.....
  • edited February 2022
    Anxiously awaiting the start of your build. I have it on order as well….my game plan is to downsize it to HO scale. Have talked to “the Boss” and he’s fine with that
    Terry
  • it's gonna be a long time before i start on it though. i have a couple other kits in line ahead of it.
  • Congratulations Kevin! What a great kit to have in your stash.
  • Looking forward to the build Kevin!!

Jerry
  • This will be a real enjoyable journey to follow along!
  • kebmo said:

it's gonna be a long time before i start on it though. i have a couple other kits in line ahead of it.

We can wait to follow along.
    A long time ? Time seems to be moving faster these days anyway so, Oct 1 seems like a good start date.

• Kevin….if you give me a heads up I might start my “downsize” of the sawmill around the same time….Oct 1 sounds okay
    Terry