visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Glue question for wood

2»

Comments

• I have no idea what the problem is. All I can say is the glue that I'm using does not bond correctly..Bad Glue?...comes loose with little effort after 25 hours...banging my head against the wall..lol

Brett, will call you tomorrow or Monday
  • Thanks again guys for reaching out here and trying to help.
    I finally glued back the loose 1/8 " sq pieces, squared up, and hopefully they will stay put. I should have shown a pic of the loose pieces.
    I'm still not happy with my progress on this build due to all the glue residue all over the place and thinking I may start over since I do have extra wood to do so.
    Or I can just try to scrape most of the glue off and re-stain those areas which may end up looking like crap...not sure.
    Seems the more of this glue I use and remove areas that have chalk stain, the glue bonds better. And yes the wood stain dried for over 24 hours.

Thanks again guys,
    Will keep you posted

Glue-3
  • What I do know is that , if you put glue, whatever brand, on end grain, wait a little bit because it will sink in the wood. Sometimes I add some extra. End grain combined with perhaps to much chalk on the wood prevents the glue to stick and hold. I had this problem too.
    Also if the wood is till wet from the staining, water or alcohol, ...the same problem. Wood may be dry on the outside but still humid inside. Especially when the wood is soaked to do the coloring. Takes longer to dry. So the humidity will have an effect on the glue drying proces.
    This is perhaps not the problem in your case, but factors to keep in mind.
  • Thanks Robert, I believe you solved my problem.
    I do add a lot of Alcohol 91 or 70% on my wood while staining.
    So I might want the wood to dry a lot longer.
    I also use maybe too much chalk depending on what effect I want on the wood. After drying I remove a lot of chalk using a terry cloth.

Thanks again!
  • To be sure, take an X-acto knife n° 11 and scrape the chalk away where you're gonna glue. And remember, end grain soaks up a lot of glue especially when the glue is diluted.
    When cleaning the excess of glue oozing out, make sure you don't get all the water underneath the two parts just put together. You will dilute the glue as well and loose strength in the seem.
  • Thanks again Robert!!

That is what I have been doing scraping the chalk away at areas where glue is applied and just enough where you can't notice.
    The bonding works so much better on bare wood.

I also try not to use water or alcohol when re-staining exposed wood. I agree it will devolve the gluing areas. I try to use just plain colored chalk to cover up my mistakes.

Robert, you have helped a lot,,,thanks!...
    I will let the alcohol stained wood dry more before gluing and maybe a less chalk.

Chris

• Talked with Brett earlier today and he agrees along with Robert and others that I may have not let the wood dry enough to get the glue to bond correctly, especially on thicker wood 1/8" sq or above and maybe used too much chalk. I will get my act together one day!...lol
    I may decide to start over not using wax paper and stick with two sided tape to eliminate the glue crap. I did one pass of the tape idea and worked great.

Also, I have been using Dental Tools to clean up glue tight areas. These tools are a must have in my opinion.

Thanks again to everyone.

Chris

dental tools-1
  • Chris, that,s what this forum is all about..... :wink:
  • When using the tape do you place it so it falls under the glue joints or so the joints are left hanging in the air so to speak. Bob