visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Lighting question

Have been going back and forth on lighting up my sw structures.
Have viewed many structures here with great beautiful lighting.

My question is, has anyone come up with remote controlled or wifi connection to operate lighting rather than using wires/switches..etc..?

I have a small waterfall in my backyard with remote controlled lighting and just thought why not add this feature to our structures rather than using wires/switches.

Just a thought and going to look into.

Chris (Pappy)

Comments

• I can operate all the lighting on my layout through a remote control via an MTH AIU (accessory interface unit). It is essentially a bank of relays that you can switch through a remote. I have a 3-rail layout but I'm sure there is something else out there for 2 rail. Still need to wire it though. Not sure if that is what you are asking about.
  • Structures for dioramas or installed on a layout? I think the layout is doable, but size might be a problem for dioramas unless it was a decent sized building without interior detailing.

There are a number of remote control LED lighting systems available like the one you have outdoors. All you would need to do is separate each light from the strand and wire them in series. Probably wouldn't be able to put them in a fixture but you could hide them strategically.
  • Thanks Jim,
    Just wanting to eliminate most of the wiring and switches to light up my buildings.
    I do understand I need to do a little wiring to the receiver and battery source.
    The transmitter will be another issue.
    Looking for something simple.
    As I stated earlier, I have a cheap lighting system for my water fall, all remotely controlled from a hand held controller and looking for the same technology.

I'm not an electrical guy as you can tell..lol

Thanks again Jim for you input

• edited April 2021
    My first thought is just light the diorama/ structure as usual.

The only thing the remote controls is the power to each light, led, accessory, activation unit. None of that needs to be incorporated into the model/diorama.
    So, run the wires from the base electrical components long enough to go to an ancillary base/box/unit separate from the model itself and control it from there.

Use one of those connector plugs from an old PC or from radio shack, whatever, to connect the two parts (diorama and base), they have about 20 connections.

Make a box for the wiring and crap to go in, the diorama sits on top, which is better for elevated viewing any way, or you can just unplug the dio from the 'electrical' base box and view it in the raw.
  • edited April 2021
    My excellently technical graphic view of what I'm talkin bout, just incase...

wiring

The box can be 6" high for display rooms and visibility, or just 1/8" plywood with everything attached underneath for layout install.

The point is that the electrics are separate from the actual model dio for ease of working on and installation.

Plug'n'play.

(Oh, that's a tree, a structure, a vehicle, a light pole and a burn barrel, in case you were wondering.)
  • edited April 2021
    Pappy,
    Are you thinking battery operated lights with a remote to switch the lights on and off? If so, something like this could fill your need but you'd have to obviously alter the string of lights. I'm sure that could be done. There are many other options out there too, this is just one I found quickly. You wouldn't even need to use the included lights, you could just use the battery case and remote and then wire your own LED's to your structure.

https://www.shoplc.com/set-of-3-multi-color-3-meter-micro-led-string-lights-with-wireless-remote/p/3127451?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpdqDBhCSARIsAEUJ0hNJ9uDkvNArWt_mxRCVVUtWzDGBinqWOMp2LWIBWxb8AzJnNbgnUWAaAjRJEALw_wcB
  • Thanks Karl for your input.
    Like your sketch.....
    That's what I'm trying to avoid but may have to go that route.

What I vision is an app for my iphone that controls the lights. No wiring up switches, no additional box.
    Wire up a few lights (two wires maybe) to a power source and a small receiver....done.

Jim, unfortunately the site you pointed me too won't load up.
    Thanks again Jim for your input.

• "Jim, unfortunately the site you pointed me too won't load up.
    Thanks again Jim for your input."

That's odd, it loads for me. Sorry

• np jim, I may know what the problem is. I have 3 computers and using the old vista one. will try on windows 10 :smile:
  • Pappy, here is a screenshot of the web page. If that is something you could use, there are many sites where you can get something similar. I just googled "battery micro led with remote". Ebay has many listings too.

Screen shot of battery remote
  • Thanks Jim!!
  • I don't know if that would work for you but if so, I think they sell them at harbor freight if you have one close by. I can see a use for them.
  • Gonna throw this out there....

but couldn't you simply eliminate the LED strip and just wire in normal lighting to the remote reciever and just use the on/off on the remote.

Plenty of versions of this on Amazon, (I'm looking into it too, so I'm thinking out loud)

Wonderful how 'cheap' all this electrical stuff has become these days.
  • Karl, I believe there are some other electronic pieces in the strips besides the lights. Don't know this for sure but from looking at one of the strips it appears that there might be. If there is a resister for example, wiring an LED directly in might cause problems.
  • Karl, Jim,
    Using the parts as an example shown below, my thought was to do what these folks did. Thinking about taking the light source enclosure apart to see how its wired and use as a guide. There are many of these remote lighting systems available and very cheap. The transmitter would be left in tack.
    The power source is just a couple of batteries. No big power supply to operate.
    Very simple.
    Just a thought.

Remote Lighting
  • edited April 2021
    Pappy, That's essentially what I posted. The black case is a battery holder for 3 AA batteries. 3 AA batteries (4.5 volts) power the LED strip. There might be a resistor involved because I think most small LEDs use 3 volts but there is some leeway in that. The higher the voltage, the faster the LED would burn out but that's probably not an issue since these are not lit up very often. You can add resistance to dim the lights too. I power much of my lights without using resistors. I use an old phone charger that has 9 volt dc output and run that into a "buck step down converter" that I can dial in the voltage I want (like a dimmer switch).
  • Thanks Jim once again for your input.
    As you can tell, I am not very savvy at electrical stuff...but learning as I go along and getting input from you, Karl and others.
    The Black case battery holder appears to be a bit larger than what I am thinking.
    But again, still learning and looking for very little wires and a small battery holder to sit in a small cavity under my dioramas but easily accessible. No additional box to accommodate my idea is my goal.
    The Hand held controller with a light dimmer would be a plus.

• Pappy, you can get a coin/battery LED kit with a switch. Evan Designs sells them. Now if we could figure out how to adapt that remote to take the place of the switch that might be what you're looking for. I'll put some thought into it. I know it could be done.

WarmWhiteChipLightKit_1024x1024@2x
  • I think this would work for you. You pick the power source, maybe what I showed above.
    In place of the switch you could wire this remote board. That receiver board fits on a fingertip, very small. I'm not 100% sure the coin battery would provide the required voltage but I'd give it a try. Not a huge investment if it didn't work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223501906203?chn=ps&var=522256421624&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=522256421624_223501906203&targetid=1068323860990&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9059892&poi=&campaignid=12589944623&mkgroupid=121185198673&rlsatarget=pla-1068323860990&abcId=9300523&merchantid=6296724&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6-SDBhCMARIsAGbI7UjW_ADXIN81dRVLaOube2I4j5Rk5Ou5A8NzkBE8OASLyVhNhLQsS9UaApSIEALw_wcB

I loaded a picture so you could see if the link didn't work for you.

Remote control
  • Wow Jim!!, getting close to what I'm thinking !!!
  • The problem I see with some of the remote systems is the ability for it to flash...fade in and out or chase....features we don't need...if you find the remote that just turns on and off or offers different intensities...thats the ticket...